Caldwell Castle

Caldwell Castle

Author
Posted Fri 7 Jun 2019 2:21 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Can anyone tell me if the cemetery is still there at Caldwell Castle?  My husband's ancestor William Caldwell was buried there.
How would I find out if there is any way to see Caldwell Castle, and if we might be able to see the cemetery if we come back there. 

Thank you! 

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 7 Jun 2019 8:22 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Melody

Here's the link to more information about Castle Caldwell in County Fermanagh 
https://www.castles.nl/castle-caldwell

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 7 Jun 2019 8:55 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
You can visit the ruins and there is a graveyard at the castle, there are a couple of local historians, Johnny Cunningham in particular would have a great depth of knowledge on the Caldwell family and the estate - visit www.erneheritagetours.com. (Note from Administrator - the web page does not seem to be working - please try their Facebook page - https://en-gb.facebook.com/ernetours/)
Kind regards
Teresa

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 7 Jun 2019 10:24 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Melody, 

It's great to hear about your husband's Irish roots! Are you planning on visiting us in the near future? :)

As Brian and Teresa already mentioned above, Caldwell Castle and estate are located in County Fermanagh, and it is possible to visit. Teresa has also provided you with some knowledgeable local historians who will be able to tell you even more about the Caldwell family. 

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/07-06-2019/ff498ffc-49e2-4d7c-8d3b-1591.png

I hope you're able to uncover more information, and please keep us posted on your findings! We're always here to help if you have any questions. 

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 7 Jun 2019 10:54 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Caastle Caldwell is located in townland of Rossbeg in parish of Belleek, County Fermanagh and the 3rd edition Ordnance Survey map, dated 1900-1907, clearly shows Castle Caldwell (in ruins), Church (ruins) and Grave Yard.

To examine historic maps and aerial photograph of Castle Caldwell  search Public Record Office of Northern Ireland’s Historical Map viewer at https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/search-proni-historical-maps-viewer. By entering ‘Rossbeg (Belleek)' in ‘Type Placename or Address’ box you will be able to view,by selecting 'Layer List' tab, first edition (1832-1846), second edition(1846-1862) and third edition (1900-1907) maps of CastleCaldwell. 

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 9 Jun 2019 2:14 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you all! I will check those out!  

We would love to plan a trip if we are able to go check out the castle and graveyard.  That would be so amazing!  

I just wish my Dad had let me know what part of my heritage was from Ireland and what he went to see.  Such a beautiful and amazing country, and we are so proud to say we can trace back to Ireland!  

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 9 Jun 2019 2:16 PM
View Quick Profile
Unfortunately most of those links don't work.  I was able to get to the Erne Heritage Tours on FB though. 
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 10 Jun 2019 6:33 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:24 PM Visits: 21.9K
Hi Melody,
Thanks for letting us know that the links were not working - they have now been updated, so you should be able to open them.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 10 Jun 2019 9:51 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Derry~Londonderry
CALDWELL SURNAME HISTORY

I believe an exploration of the history of an ancestor’s surname is a useful first step on a journey to tracing roots in Ireland. Although only detailed family history research will confirm the actual origins of an ancestor, surname histories can provide clues and insight into family history.

Surnames, as they are very much connected to place in Ireland, are an integral part of Irish identity and family history. Pride in Irish roots is often reflected, and indeed reinforced, in pride in surname, or an ancestor’s surname, which confirms a connection with Ireland.

The book of Ulster Surnames by Robert Bell (Blackstaff Press, Belfast, 1988) records the following history for the surname Caldwell:

Ulster Caldwells can be of English, Scottish or Irish descent. The name itself is territorial in origin: if Scottish, from the lands of the name in Renfrewshire; if English, from any one of a number of places so called. It means ‘cold spring’ or ‘cold stream’, from the Old English ceald wielle. The name was common in Edinburgh in the seventeenth century.

But Caldwell was also used as an anglicisation for Ulster Gaelic names. The Horish or Houriskey family of Tyrone, Gaelic Ó hUaruisce, anglicised their name to Caldwell in the mistaken notion that the Gaelic word for ‘water’, uisce, was part of the name. The Colavins and Cullivans of County Cavan, Gaelic Mac Conluain, also adopted the name Caldwell.

Castle Caldwell, the home of the Caldwells of Fermanagh, was purchased from the Blennerhassets in 1670 by Sir James Caldwell, son of the Enniskillen merchant John Caldwell (originally of Ayrshire). The family took a prominent part in the Williamite defence of Erne and Donegal in 1689 and 1690.

The name is most common in counties Antrim, Derry and Tyrone.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 11 Jun 2019 12:08 AM
View Quick Profile
Thank you Brian.  We have traced our ancestry back directly through different sources to  the Caldwells who rented the Castle from the Blennerhassetts.   We are from John who was the brother of James who rented/bought the Castle.  We were told the vault was sealed off after they found bones strewn about and caskets/items robbed. From different sites, we found one that said James had moved their mother Mary and a son of James's caskets to the vault, so I'm guessing some might have been their bodies.   From what we found William Caldwell (their Grandfather) is buried there, but we are trying to find out if his gravesite was exhumed or if he is still buried there.

To me, it's amazing that my husband has the last name carried directly for 14 generations that we have traced.  John's descendent in our line was Matthew Caldwell who came across the US with Joseph Smith when he was starting Mormonism.