Trying to define route from Galway to Dublin by train

Trying to define route from Galway to Dublin by train

Author
Posted Tue 11 Jun 2019 10:03 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I will be in Galway for 5 days exploring the northern area. After which, I will have 5 days to plan a return route to Dublin
I will not be driving and will need to depend on rail. 
It is easier to take train eastbound direct to Dublin and then take day trips out of Dublin to the south (Kilkenny, Cork, Kildare, Killarney), or travel south/southwest out of Galway and visit these areas on the way to Dublin? 

Any guidance or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Jude

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/11-06-2019/8e130183-c057-4950-948c-95a7.png

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 12 Jun 2019 9:22 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Jude,

It's great to hear that you will have some time after your Galway adventures to see some of the more southern parts of the island of Ireland!

The train is a great option, and returning to Dublin and then going to Kildare and Kilkenny a great idea using the train as day trips.  Irish Rail has a super website for booking your trips and tickets online. They also have lovely timetables by route page which will give you an idea of which services you can use to get around the places you wish to visit.

As an alternative to returning to Dublin, have you considered using the many bus services to hop from location to location? Transport for Ireland has a wonderful journey planner that we often use to find the best routes from place to place. So for instance, you could go from Galway via Limerick to Kilkenny and then on to Cork etc. Simply enter the from and to locations s to see the options on providers.

When will you be over with us and what have you already planned for your time in the Galway area?

Speak soon,

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 12 Jun 2019 3:04 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thank you for your prompt response.  I will look at the train time tables your suggested!
We will arrive in Dublin on July 8 and go straight to Galway to meet some friends.  They are currently looking at tours to Cliffs of Moher, Burren, and Aran Islands,  I would like to add the Giants or Causeway within our days there  Do you have a tour company you recommend?

We need to be back in Dublin the 12th-14th for wedding events, so staying in Dublin through the 17th and venturing from there seems to be the easiest so we don't have to worry about our luggage between tours.    I will seek out the information on Transport for Ireland to see our options. 

Thank you for your help and time!
Jude
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 13 Jun 2019 9:04 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Jude,

How wonderful to be meeting up with your friends in Galway and making some trips together!

A visit to the Giant's Causeway sounds like a super idea. Most tour operators offer tours from Dublin to the Causeway so that may be the best time to make that trip as the trains all run back to Dublin. Paddywagon Tours, Wild Rover Tours, Finn McCool Tours, and Railtours all offer trips that may be of interest to you from Dublin, please take a look at their pages for details of times, costs and itineraries.

It is also possible to do it by yourself taking the train up to Belfast and then using the City Sightseeing bus option.

We also have a lovely article on 10-day trips from Dublin that may give you some inspiration. Some of the trips are possible by public transport so hopefully, you can fill up your days with some excellent memories of your time with us.

I hope this gives you lots of inspiration, and hopefully, your fellow members and some industry partners will be able to add to this list!

If you need any more help, just let me know!

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 16 Aug 2019 11:47 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Jude,

How are you?
Were you able to visit all the places you wanted to during your stay?

Also, pass our congratulation to the new married couple. 😉