I love WB Yeats, so I can't wait to visit County Sligo. But what else can I do while I'm there?

I love WB Yeats, so I can't wait to visit County Sligo. But what else...

Author
Posted Thu 20 Jun 2019 8:01 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
This west coast beauty along the Wild Atlantic Way may be famously called ‘Yeats Country’, but it’s also the place for breathtaking coastal views, a watersports paradise and Ireland’s very own tabletop mountain, Ben Bulben.

It’s easy to see why this was such a place of inspiration for the renowned poet and Nobel Laureate. For any WB Yeats fan, the first stop would have to be Ben Bulben. This is the eponymous mountain mentioned in ‘Under Ben Bulben’. If you’re feeling adventurous, a four-hour hike will take you to the top, and the views of Donegal bay and Slieve League are a worthy reward. On a clear day, you may even be able to see Croagh Patrick! Afterwards, you can find WB Yeats’ final resting place at Drumcliffe cemetery, which is located near the base of the mountain.

If you love water then County Sligo is the place for you. This is the surf coast hub on the Wild Atlantic Way. At Mullaghmore Head, you’ll find some of the biggest waves in Europe, and surfers flock here year round to test their stamina. If you want to find inspiration, then hop aboard a boat for a tour around Lough Gill in neighbouring County Leitrim. Operating from Easter to October, it’s here that you will find the Isle of Innisfree, another one of WB Yeats poetic inspirations.

Make a stop in Sligo town – this lively hub is full of friendly locals and ‘craic’ (fun), so you’re guaranteed to always have a good time. For a touch of history, visit the Sligo county museum which contains local artefacts, the memorabilia of Countess Markievicz, and a few personal collections of WB Yeats, including his Nobel Prize medal.

For those who are feeling adventurous, or just want to stretch their legs, set out along the Sligo Way. See the sights as you walk along this 74 km route and discover the beauty of the surf coast as it winds its way all along the county. As you’re walking, take in that fresh, crisp, salty air, and don’t forget to breathe when you see the stunning west coastline on the island of Ireland.

Can our Community members recommend any other places to visit in County Sligo?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/20-06-2019/22ee6dc3-56a6-46b6-b0be-1e8b.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 13 Sep 2019 12:19 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Ellie hi,

Yes we can recommend the Sligo Food Trail and Prannie Rhatigan's seaweed experience. Prannie just won gold at the Gourmand world book awards for her book "Irish Seaweed Christmas Kitchen".

For more on events around Ireland you can check our social media feeds on Facebook and Twitter. We keep them updated daily so there is always something to see or do around Ireland.

https://www.facebook.com/WorkingHolidayIreland.ie/
https://twitter.com/Work_Hol_Ire

I hope this helps and you have a great time in Ireland exploring,

Working Holiday Ireland
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 23 Nov 2019 11:40 AM
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 18
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 26 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 60
Sligo is fantastic and frankly one of the most underrated destinations in Ireland. I visited for the first time a few years ago on a Yeats-inspired road trip from Dublin. Some of the best Yeats related sites are across the border in County Leitrim. Make time to see Lough Gill and The Lake Isle of Innisfree.

I recommend exploring the foodie side of Sligo. Eala Bhan in Sligo Town is one of the best restaurants in Ireland and you can find award-winning Gelato at Mammy Johnston's in Strandhill. Cawley's in Tubbercurry is great for a comforting meal, a pint, and some music. White Hag in Ballymote is one of the best craft breweries in Ireland. 

Depending on how long you have for your trip, consider nipping over into Northern County Mayo for a hawk walk at Mount Falcon just outside of Ballina.

Hope you have a great trip! 
Jennifer (aka Dr. J)
Sidewalk Safari Travel Blog