Visiting both Newgrange and Knwoth from Dublin

Visiting both Newgrange and Knwoth from Dublin

Author
Posted Sat 22 Jun 2019 4:03 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I'd like to visit both Newgrange and Knwoth on 13 August while being based in Dublin. I'm willing to pay for a coach tour, but all the ones I can find only do Newgrange, and look like I wouldn't be able to stay and do both sites.  Is there a bus tour, or some public transportation option (I'd rather not rent a car) that will let me have both site tours and an hour at the museum?  (I'm in Ireland from 12-25 August, in part attending the World Science Fiction Convention in Dublin, and these neolithic sites are high on my list of what I want to see.)
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 22 Jun 2019 11:51 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.5K reputation)Community Expert (8.5K reputation)Community Expert (8.5K reputation)Community Expert (8.5K reputation)Community Expert (8.5K reputation)Community Expert (8.5K reputation)Community Expert (8.5K reputation)Community Expert (8.5K reputation)Community Expert (8.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 22
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Fri 12 Apr 2024 10:28 AM Visits: 2.8K
Hi Roy,

It's so nice to see you're making use of your visit to the WSF Convention by turning it into an extended trip.

Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth - all located in the UNESCO World Heritage site of Brú na Bóinne is a great day trip out of Dublin. And we all know that science fiction and ancient prehistoric sites go really well together. :) In the Visitor Centre, you can obtain admission tickets to visit both Newgrange and Knowth. On their website, you can also find some options for tours with pick-ups in Dublin city. Since you're planning to come over this August, please have a look at this important notice about the current refurbishment works.

To get there by public transport, you can take a bus to Drogheda. The 163 bus line leaving from the Drogheda Bus Station will drop you off at the Brú na Bóinne Visitor Centre. You can look up your schedule and connections using the handy transport planner of Transport for Ireland.

If you prefer a coach tour to take you, there are several options as well. Seeing you have a keen interest in Neolithic sites, you might be interested in going on a tour which includes the nearby Hill of Tara - like the ones organised by Gray Line, Mary Gibbons or Bus Éireann, to name a few.

I hope this information proves helpful with your planning! Maybe some of our other forum members will jump in with some other suggestions as well.

Have fun at the Science Fiction Convention! 

Joris
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 16 Jul 2019 4:39 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
I am thinking about visiting Newgrange in late September and need some advice on timing and feasibility.  I will be stopping in Dublin on a cruise which will dock at approximately 8am.  I need to be back no later than 1pm.  So I would have a total of about 4 to 4 1/2 hours.  I understand that seeing the monument will require approximately 60-90 minutes plus checking in for a tour. How far is the site from the Dublin cruise dock?  In other words, how much time would I need to get there (driving) and back to the dock?  Is this a realistic idea?

Thanks for your guidance.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 17 Jul 2019 10:18 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Susan,

It's wonderful that you're docking in Dublin during your cruise this September, and it would be even better if you get to visit Newgrange as well! 

The trip from Dublin Port, where the larger cruise ships dock, to the Newgrange Visitor Centre takes around 45 minutes by car, depending on traffic. By public transport it will take over 2 hours because you have to travel to the centre of the city first before you can catch a connecting bus. 

Have you thought of a tour with a private driver or chauffeur? You'll be picked up and dropped off back at Dublin Port at an agreed time, and they could do their best to make sure you're back at 1pm. 

It still might be quite tight time wise, while you really want to have the chance to explore everything at your own pace. Are there any other things you'd like to see or do while you're in Dublin? There is lots of history in this area as well. :) 

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 17 Jul 2019 8:30 PM
View Quick Profile
Thanks for the advice, Melin.  I'm going to check into the driver idea and see if that is feasible.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 18 Jul 2019 10:19 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
That's great, Susan! I hope they'll be able to tell you more, and you can find other recommended driver and chauffeur companies here.

Let us know how you get on, and please don't hesitate to reach out if you'd like to discuss other options! :) 
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 24 Oct 2019 11:06 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Susan!

Did you get the chance to go to Newgrange during your Dublin stop?

I hope you had a great time on the cruise. 🙂