John Cain/Cane who married Ann Gilpin

John Cain/Cane who married Ann Gilpin

Author
Posted Mon 1 Jul 2019 7:38 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I'm researching my Caine/Cain/Cane line and I'd like to connect with those who come from this line. I have John born 1674 in Ireland and Ann Gilpin born 1678? 

My line is through one of their sons John or Robert. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Caren

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 2 Jul 2019 8:20 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Caren

The surname Caine/Cain has a very interesting history in Ireland. 

It can be of English origin, derived either from a nickname for a tall, thin man, from Old French cane, meaning cane, reed, or from town name of Caen in Normandy. 

It also has a number of Irish origins. In Mayo it is a variant of Kane and Keane, derived from Gaelic personal name Cian.
O Cathain, as lords of Keenaght, anglicised as O’Cahan, O’Kane, Kane, Caine etc., were an important sept in Derry up to the Plantation of Ulster in the early 17th century. By the 12th century they had established themselves in County Derry from the Foyle to Bann rivers and they had gained the privilege of inaugurating the chief of the O'Neills. 

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 2 Jul 2019 9:24 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Caren,

You seem to have traced back your Caine/Cain/Cane surname origins a long way back so far!

Many thanks to Brian as always for his in-depth knowledge, would the location of Derry~Londonderry or Mayo be in amongst your research so far?

Speak soon,

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 2 Jul 2019 3:11 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you so much for your input!! I have just started my Cain research in Ireland. After verifying a few things, now I can start. My DNA test also showed my Irish line shows up in Tipperary, Dublin and Galway. We're pretty sure of our line from Galway, but still need work done on the John and Ann above to find that link. I'm so excited to finally be able to research in Ireland.

Caren 

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 2 Jul 2019 6:10 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello Caren,

Many thanks for letting us know how you got on and that you managed to trace your Irish line.

It's certainly interesting to hear that your line is taking you to Galway!

In this case I recommend reaching out to the genealogy centre in the county that your ancestors were born in, if they were born before 1864. The reason for this is that before 1864 all records were kept in the form of church and parish records, and all of the remaining records have been sorted into county based genealogical centres. There are two centres for Galway for you to check, the East Galway Family History Society and the Galway Family History Society West.

I hope you'll receive more tips and suggestions from our experts so you're able to find this missing piece of the puzzle! 

Warm regards,
Romina

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 14 Jul 2019 5:33 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi, I am also looking for a John Cain, child of Winifred Reagan and Martin Cain.
They had four children; Patrick 1831, Mary 1835, Michael 1836, John 1839.  Winifred & John appear in Canada in Newmarket Ontario on the 1851 census living with the Hurley family.  Mary has married a Madden and also lives in Newmarket.  Winifred was from county Clare (death certificate in Canada). My DNA shows up with Strong Munster; North Kerry & North Cork, East Limerick, East Clare. Family oral history indicates that they were from Newmarket Ireland and when they came to Canada went to Newmarket Ontario. Added the e to the end of their name once they were in Canada.

John Cain(e) was born May 15, 1839
Winifred Cain(e) was born apx 1799
Martin Cain(e) I have no details for, I do not believe he came to Canada with his wife.

I have been looking for anything of this family in Ireland for at least 20 years. I cannot find them under any version of Cain, Kane, Keane, Caine. Wondering if you have happened across my John Cain.

Thanks!!

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 15 Jul 2019 12:24 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Hello Beth,

John Cain seems to be a popular name, with plenty of Cain/Caine/Kane variations to add to the mix!

As you may have seen in Romina's reply above tet records before 1864 will be parish and church records, so the one for County Clare may be the best start if not already tried. Clare Heritage & Genealogy Centre would be a site worth visiting to see what information if any they have on John or even Martin if he was from the area too.

Does the information you have on John indicate that he was born in County Clare?

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 8 Feb 2020 8:59 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Caren,  
I am trying to find my John Cain link.  One of the possibilities is your John Cain and Ann Gilpin.  I have traced my John Cain to Beaver County Pa around 1780.  I am not from the Robert side.  Do you know where your John's son John migrated to or did he stay in eastern Pa?   I have found a link for your John north of Belfast Ireland.  I have DNA test with Ancestry and 23&ME.  I just ran across this message and have not looked at my details for a while but if you have an interest I will dig them up.
Thanks
Fred (my mother was a Cain)

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 9 Feb 2020 11:47 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Island of Ireland
Hi Fred,

It's lovely to hear that you may have a connection somewhere in the past to Caren!

We would love to hear all about what you have found, please feel free to post them here or even start a new thread of your own.

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 9 Feb 2020 5:33 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello Fred. I'm so glad you responded. I would be elated to see the information you have on this John. I don't believe my line comes through John, but maybe a brother. Still working on the connection. I do have quite a bit of information on John and Ann and their children. I received the information on John and Ann through a DNA relative. I also did 23andme. Let's be in touch. I'm still trying to find exactly where in Ireland my line is from. One says Dublin, one says Galway. You can email me if you'd like: meplant@comcast.net

My maiden name is Caine. The "e" was added a few generations ago. Just a spelling variation. I have all the information on this. 

Again I so happy your responded :)

Caren