The size of Ireland

The size of Ireland

Author
Posted Tue 2 Jul 2019 12:15 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Being from the U.S., I tend to think of destinations as being far apart. I realize that Ireland is much smaller (understatement!), but I can't quite wrap my mind around exactly how big Ireland is. For example, how long does it take to drive from Dublin to Kilkenny? Kilkenny to Cork? Waterford to Limerick? We'll be spending two weeks based in Kilkenny and I'm not sure how far from our base I should be looking at for day trips. All advice is appreciated! 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 2 Jul 2019 1:16 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
The size of Ireland is a common misconception. Some interesting numbers for you, first. At it's widest, Ireland is only 170 miles from coast to coast. The Longest is 301 miles coast to coast, What this translates to, is that you can indeed drive anywhere in Ireland and arrive the same day you leave, although some journeys could be most of the day.

Now that we have it in perspective let's look at those journeys.
Dublin to Kilkenny -: about 85 miles, 2-hour drive.
Kilkenny to Cork -: about 95 miles, 2 hours 15 mins drive
Waterford to Limerick -: about 80 miles, the roads are a little more rural for this journey so the time is still about 2 hours 15 mins.

You can see from the times, a day trip between any of these places is achievable. 

Hope this helps you

Gordee

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 2 Jul 2019 10:31 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thank you very much! It was very kind of you to reply to my question. It's so good to know that we'll be able to experience a good bit of Ireland on our visit! 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 3 Jul 2019 9:36 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
You are most welcome!

Ireland's Ancient East and sections of the Wild Atlantic Way are all reachable from the Kilkenny area.

Part of the enjoyment of being on the island of Ireland is the journey as well as the destination, many small towns and villages will tempt you to stop and explore as you make your way around.

Do you have any must-see attractions on your itinerary list so far?

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 4 Jul 2019 9:16 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
Hi J,

I appreciate that you are planning to base yourselves in the south of Ireland but might I suggest a visit to explore the delights of the Causeway Coast and Glens on the north coast of the Island?! 

You can travel north along the Causeway Coastal Route to explore the many sites and attractions.  For a large part of it you are driving alongside the shoreline with the sea on one side and the beautiful Glens of Antrim on the other side.  You will pass ancient castles, little towns, long sandy beaches and attractions galore.  You could bravely cross Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge, marvel at the hexagonal stone formations at the Giant's Causeway and photograph some of the Game of Thrones filming locations.  On the way home you can take the A26 from Coleraine to Belfast which takes just over an hour as most of it is dual carriageway or motorway and then continue on back towards Dublin.

If you would like to find out a bit more about the Causeway Coast and Glens please look at our website:
https://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/

Have a great trip!
Alison
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 26 Sep 2019 5:15 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello J. Miller, I'm just checking in to see how your plans are coming along. :) Have you been over to see us yet? I'm more than happy to help you find day trips from Kilkenny, and if you've already visited, I'd love to hear more about your experiences!