I want to stay connected while on holiday. What's the WiFi like, and what electronics can I bring?

I want to stay connected while on holiday. What's the WiFi like, and...

Author
Posted Wed 3 Jul 2019 9:01 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
With gorgeous green rolling hills, quiet county trails and secluded coastal bays, Ireland can be a great place to get away from it all – but that doesn’t mean you can’t stay in touch. If you’re worried about WiFi or want to phone once in a while, don’t worry, it’s easy to stay connected while travelling around the island of Ireland. 

If you’re visiting the cities, you can enjoy free WiFi in Galway city thanks to Magnet Networks, and this scheme is slowly being rolled out to other hubs, including Sligo, Westport, Monaghan, Knock and Carrick-on-Shannon. In Dublin, you’ll find free WiFi hotspots in various locations around the city. 

Most restaurants, cafés, and pubs will have WiFi, although you may have to ask for the password. If you’re not planning on staying in one place, you can even find free WiFi on some trains and buses, so you can stay connected every step of the way! Your accommodation is also likely to have WiFi that’s free to use as well. We’re a friendly bunch and always happy to have a chat, so we know how important it is to stay in touch with friends and family. 

If you’re visiting from another part of the EU, you can use your phone and data as usual with no extra charges. If you’re visiting from further afield and want to call home, you may be able to buy an Irish sim card for your phone. An Irish sim card will only work if your phone isn’t locked to your network, so check with your provider before you travel. Phone service is good across the country but the further away from the cities, the harder you may find to get a signal, so bear this in mind if you’re waiting for any urgent phone calls or texts! 

Don’t forget that the plug sockets are different in the UK and Ireland! We use a type G socket with three prong plugs, with a voltage of 230v/50Hz. If you forget to purchase an adapter before you travel, they’re widely available in shops, so you won’t lose access to your electronic devices while you’re here. 

Wherever you go, it’s easy to stay in touch and post beautiful photos of your travels online!

Do our Community members have more practical advice for our travellers?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/03-07-2019/fde1dae2-89af-4889-9dd1-1972.png

Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 9 Apr 2024 3:21 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 8
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 12 Apr 2024 10:35 AM Visits: 409
Hey there, 

I would recommend WiFicandy as a solution for your internet needs while in Ireland and UK. 
If you are traveling individually then their eSIM is a great fit for your needs and if you're traveling in a group of 2 or more, then their portable wifi device will be your best bet. Have a look www.wificandy.ie