How to travel from Dublin Airport to Killarney

How to travel from Dublin Airport to Killarney

Author
Posted Sat 6 Jul 2019 3:47 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
We are arriving from an international flight at 7:30 a.m.  Once we clear customs we would like to make our way to Killarney.  We have a B&B booked and check in is between 3:00 p.m. and 10 p.m.
What would you recommend for travel.
Bus, Train or Air.
Air does seem the most expensive but it might be the least difficult.  
Would appreciate any opinions on this.
Thank You so much.
RS from Canada
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 6 Jul 2019 4:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Randolph, 

It's so exciting you're planning on visiting, and I'd love to help you find the best way to travel from Dublin to Killarney! 

I have gathered some options for you below so you can choose the right one. :) 

Train: There is a direct train route between Dublin Heuston Station and Killarney, and the whole journey takes around 3 hours and 15 minutes. I personally love travelling by train because it is easy, comfortable, and you can get up to stretch your legs, which is very handy after a long flight. You can book your tickets directly via the Irish Rail page, and if you book them up to 48 hours before travelling, there usually is a discounted fare. To get from Dublin Airport to Heuston Station, you can hop on Dublin Bus line 747, and this takes around 50 minutes. 

Bus: If you prefer to travel by bus, you can do so by travelling directly from the airport with the Dublin Coach N7 Service to Dublin city centre, and from there take the M7 Express Service to Killarney. This whole trip takes around 4,5 hours in total, and you can buy your tickets ahead of your trip. 

Air: There is indeed also an Aer Lingus service between Dublin Airport and Kerry Airport. The flight takes a little over an hour in total, but keep in mind that you'll have to wait for the plane, airport security, customs etc. before you can depart. As you mentioned before, this will be the most expensive option to travel. 

Whichever you choose, you'll be in time to check into your B&B in Killarney. :) What do you have planned for your time in County Kerry?

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 6 Jul 2019 6:12 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)

Thank you very much Merlin for your thorough reply.  It is very helpful. Those are all the options I did explore.  After a long flight overseas it could be that the train journey would be the most relaxing.
With thanks.
Randy
Manitoba, Canada
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 7 Jul 2019 11:26 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
A relaxing way to travel indeed, let the train take the strain!

Once in Killarney, what have you already planned to see and do during your time with us?

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 7 Jul 2019 9:46 PM
View Quick Profile
Thanks again Martin.  We will book our train tickets ahead of time.  Should we also buy or bus ticket.  I notice they leave every 15 min.  We will have to time it once we clear customs after our 7:30 a.m. arrivall, to get going and just get to the Train Station.

Once in Killarney we are booking day trips through Viator:
Sept. 29-Oct.1
1.  Tour of Dingle Peninsula, Shea Head Inch Beach.
2.  The Ring of Kerry Day Trip
3.  The Gap of Dunloe Day Trip
4.  Celtic Steps:  The Show
I think we have just the right amount of time

After this we are off to Shannon and are going to meet up with our Overseas Adventure Travel Group for a 16 day tour of mostly the Northern Part of Ireland and working our way back to Dublin.
Randy.

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 8 Jul 2019 10:29 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Hi Randolph, 

Travelling by train is a great choice! I am happy to see you are thinking of pre-booking your train tickets, but this is not as necessary for the bus trip, as it is a regular service. :) 

You have chosen some wonderful day trips with Viator, and I think you'll have the right amount of time to explore all of these locations. It is so exciting that you will be travelling around for 16 more days after that as well! Will the tour take you along the counties up in the northern part of the island, as well as Northern Ireland?

If you're looking for more tips and suggestions, please don't hesitate to reach out! 

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 21 Jul 2019 3:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi again Martin,

We are travelling with Overseas Adventure Travel.  We have used them before.  Tour group size is a maximum of 16 travellers.  We have been to South East Asia, Morocco, Czech Republic and Sicily with this company.  Highly recommend.
The Tour is taking us to Belfast, Dublin and the Northwest Counties.

I do have 2 more questions.  Should we buy our bus tickets from Dublin Airport to Heuston Station online in advance?  If so is the ticket valid anytime that day.  It is a matter of timing after clearing customs (again we arrive at 7:30 a.m. from Canada).
Also, any thoughts on either bus or train from Killarney to Ennis.  The bus route looks more direct and perhaps could be more scenic than train. (but that is just a guess).
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Randy
Manitoba, Canada
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 21 Jul 2019 3:39 PM
View Quick Profile
Martin,

By the way, watching The Open from Ireland.  We are cheering for Shane Lowry.
Randy.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 22 Jul 2019 12:50 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello Randy,

It's great to hear you're watching the Irish Open, and we got to say you choose wisely, since Shane Lowry deservedly came away with the trophy! :D

If you are deciding on taking the Airlink Express bus from the airport, in order to get the best value, the tickets can be purchased on their website. There, you can also choose to pay with credit card since they do not accept credit card payments on the buses. The 747 route leaves up to every 10 minutes and it's the one that takes you to Dublin Airport to Heuston Station, as Melin previously commented above. It would be valid for that day without any problems. Here you can find the 747 Route Map.

Regarding travelling from Killarney to Ennis, I'd agree with you that the fastest and cheapest option will be taking the bus. It's certainly more direct too, with only one stop in Limerick along the way. You can choose to travel from Killarney to Limerick by Bus Éireann's line 14, and from there hop on service 51 or 343 directly to Ennis Busstation. The whole journey should take around 3 hours, and there are some lovely views to be enjoyed along the way. :) 

I hope this helps with your planning!

Best regards,

Romina

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 26 Sep 2019 5:08 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
Hi Randolph,

I hope you are having a wonderful trip, and I just wanted to check in on how everything is going. Me, as well as our other members would love to hear more about your adventures on the island, so feel free to share them with us here! :)