Sight Seeing and Costs

Sight Seeing and Costs

Author
Posted Tue 9 Jul 2019 1:41 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello, we are travelling to Portrush Ireland August 26, we arrive in Dublin and are taking the train to our destination.
I want to know what tourist attractions would cost money, such as the castles and museums. What about places like White Rock Beach and Giants Causeway, is there a fee associated with these places?
I'm also looking for other ideas of what to visit while we are there, we will be there for 7 days, 1 of those days is a wedding so we have 6 full days to keep busy with seeing as much as possible but not wanting to spend money everyday if we don't have to. I know we will spend money, just need an idea of where would be needing to spend money. Thank you

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 9 Jul 2019 3:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
Hi Amanda,
There is a surprising amount of free attractions on the island. There are a couple of guides on this website you may find useful
30 Free Things to do in Ireland
The best things in Ireland are free
On top of these, any National trust site in the North or antaisce site in the republic are free, they all accept donations and some may charge if you want to access the visitor's centre, but essentially it is up to you how much you pay.
The Giant's Causeway is a prime example of this. If you enter through the visitor's centre there is a fee. if you bypass the visitor's centre and go straight down to the causeway it is free.
Whiterock beach is completely free, as are all the public beaches.
Most of the castles work on a donation service too.
I would encourage you to make some form of donation though as it helps keep these sites alive, the nice thing is you can choose how much suits you.

I hope this helps
Gordee

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 10 Jul 2019 11:24 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: 2 days ago @ 3:02 PM Visits: 2.4K
Hi Amanda,

I am delighted that you are planning a trip to the Causeway Coast and Glens!  Most of the attractions do have an entrance fee.  The Giant's Causeway and Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge work on a ticketing system which you can pre purchase from any of our Visitor Information Centres.  For Carrick-A-Rede in particular, you are issued with a ticket with an allocated time slot in which you have to cross the bridge.  Also because it is high season I would recommend booking these in advance.

The Whiterocks beach is free to access by foot as with other beaches in the area.

Other attractions in the area include:
- Downhill Demesne, Mussenden Temple and Downhill beach
- Binevenagh - Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Dunluce Castle and Whiterocks beach
- Dunseverick castle
- Ballintoy
- Rathlin Island
- Fairhead, Murlough

Further information about attractions is available in our Visitor Guide which is available to download:
https://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Causeway-Coast-and-Glens-Visitor-Guide-2019.pdf

The 402/172 bus service is a great way to explore the area as it operates on a hop on/hop off basis and stops at most of the major attractions in the area including the Giant's Causeway and Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge.

If you have any further questions regarding any of the above, please get in touch with Coleraine Visitor Information Centre and we will be happy to help.

I wish you an enjoyable trip!
Alison