Daly Family

Daly Family

Author
Posted Thu 11 Jul 2019 2:23 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello, and I'm happy to be here. I am trying the find the parents of my ancestor, according to Ancestry DNA were from the area Roscommon. I know for certain that Joseph s Daly, was born abt 1885 in Ireland and married (1909) a Clara Hinkle, b1891 Philadelphia, pa. I am trying to find his parents born in Ireland. I have a Thomas Daly and Mary  but I'm not sure, and frankly I'm a little intimidated.  Any help please??
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 11 Jul 2019 3:47 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Joanne,

Sometimes learning a bit more about the past can seem like a bit of a daunting task, but I do hope that we can help make your journey into discovering your heritage just a touch easier. And maybe, we hope, it can even be exciting and fun.

To help get started, there are lovely threads right here in our community that offers wonderful advice, as well as tips and tricks, on where to look.

Since Joseph S. Daly was born in Ireland in 1885, you might like to start by contacting GRO, the General Register Office in Ireland, where records of births from that period might be kept. There's also plenty more advice to be found on both of those threads, so please do feel free to take a closer look.

Another option is to contact Ireland Reaching Out, a very lovely volunteer group devoted to helping people learn more about their Irish family tree. They might just be able to offer a helping hand.

If you ever do feel a bit overwhelmed, please do let us know. We'd be just delighted to offer a bit more advice to point you in the right direction. 

Warmest regards,
Rochelle
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 18 Jul 2019 1:23 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 26 Jul 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 193
Hi Joanne, that is great that you know the year Joseph Daly married - do you have a copy of his marriage record? I would recommend you obtain that in case it contains the names of his parents. 

Have you checked the US Census for him? I would advise you to look at every census available as people added more details to certain returns so each one may provide you with different clues. He may have listed his month or even date of birth as well as sometimes even the county he came from. 

Roughly when do you think he came to America? The census records will also help you with that information as if he came when he was very young, he may have travelled with his parents or older siblings. 

US Census returns are available on www.ancestry.com as are many passenger lists and marriage records. 

If you have any difficulty, I would recommend you contact genealogist Dave Miller https://www.theancestorguy.com/ (Email: info@theancestorguy.com

Once you have all the information from the US sources, then you will be able to turn to the Irish records and find out more about your ancestor.

Best wishes,

Gillian Hunt
Research Officer
Ulster Historical Foundation