My Grand father

My Grand father

Author
Posted Sat 13 Jul 2019 12:25 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I would like to know as much as possible about my Grandfather. His name was David Hall and was a Labour MP in 1923.
I believe he was an officer in the IRA around 1920-21, and lived in Meath. 

Any further information would be very helpful in learning about him. 

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 15 Jul 2019 9:49 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Eddie,

It sounds fascinating that your Grandfather was a politician here on the island of Ireland in 1923!

We have several articles and a wonderful community post on Tracing your Irish Ancestors by our friend Brian, which has lots of helpful starting points for your research journey. As he suggests, the 1901 and 1911 census returns may hold some clues and help establish places and dates that you can then use to further your search.

Have you any paper documents handed down through your family that may shed some light on his past before becoming a member of Dáil Éireann?

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 16 Jul 2019 10:15 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Eddie

If you have not already done so, make sure you check the website of the Bureau of Military History, http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/, as it contains thousands of eyewitness accounts of the revolutionary period from 1913 to 1923 including one from a David Hall of Knutsford, Garristown, County Dublin who was Officer Commanding 1st Brigade, 1st Eastern Division which can be viewed at  http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/reels/bmh/BMH.WS1539.pdf#page=1