First trip to Ireland, 15th - 23rd December

First trip to Ireland, 15th - 23rd December

Author
Posted Thu 18 Jul 2019 1:21 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
My daughter, 25yo and myself, have 8 days to spend travelling. We fly into Dublin early 15th December from Sydney. We are planning on hiring a car and that is as far as I have got. There is too much to see and too little time. We like nature so would like to do some walking, possibly in the Wicklow Mountains or The Copper Coast and avoid driving the main highways where possible. We also enjoy good food and history. I look forward to getting your input. Cheers, Babette
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 18 Jul 2019 9:00 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Babette,

December is a lovely time to visit and hiring a car will give you plenty of opportunities to get out into the countryside!

The Wicklow Mountains and Copper Coast are a super choice for walks, food, and history as part of Ireland's Ancient East.

With have a lovely article on 10 Day trips from Dublin that you may be interested in as part of your itinerary. It lists some locations that are perfect for walks and getting to see historical attractions. The day trip to Howth is a great one for seafood!

Are you planning on basing your selves in Dublin or are you open to the possibility of moving to another place to extend the distance you can cover without adding to the daily drive time?

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 19 Jul 2019 12:25 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Martin,

Thank you for your prompt reply and ideas.

We would like to spend a couple of nights in Dublin and end up in Cork, flying to Amsterdam on 23rd. We prefer to spend at least 2 nights in each place but appreciate that sometimes one night is enough if the distance to the next place is short. 

I have looked at so many options of where to go walking and which way to drive from Dublin To Cork the most scenic way and am totally overwhelmed. I did find a guide with a scenic route travelling south from Dublin which took you off the main road and through lovely villages but I can't find it back. 

I would like to spend 2 days in Dublin and Cork and try and have 3 walking days, which would incorporate experiencing local hospitality and wonderful food. Do you think it is too ambitious to all that?

Cheers,

Babette
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 19 Jul 2019 11:36 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Babbette,

I work for a campervan/motorhome rental company with a branch near Dublin. Maybe this would be another possibility - might give you the flexibility to see more places. As well as Spaceships Rentals, there is a good choice of motorhome rental companies based in Ireland.
Hope this gives you some food for thought.
Regards,
Mike

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 21 Jul 2019 11:03 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your suggestion. I had a look at Spaceships Rentals and still prefer to hire a car. I have had a few campervan holidays and enjoyed them but am concerned about the cold nights.

Cheers,
Babette
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 22 Jul 2019 7:46 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Babette,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I guess Australia in December is a bit different to Ireland in December... Certainly understand why you would want a car, a warm room and a hot bath!
We have a new Ireland road trip blog coming onto our site in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Might be worth a quick look for some more ideas and inspiration.
Have a fantastic time on your visit to Ireland.
Best wishes and regards,
Mike

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 22 Jul 2019 10:30 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Babette, 

How are your plans coming along? :) Your itinerary sounds absolutely lovely so far, and the plans that you've made are definitely doable. It all depends on what you would like to see and do while you're in a certain area, and you can base the amount of time you'd like to spend there on that. 

I'd love to help you find the off the beaten track route travelling south from Dublin to Cork. Was it posted here on the Community, or did you find it on a different website? 

I also think you might like this suggested trip idea for walking routes on the Southern Peninsulas. The trail will bring you along some wonderful sights, food and culture along the way. 

I know there are a lot of choices, and I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have. :)

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 24 Jul 2019 3:18 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
Hi Babette,

I know you've mentioned wanting to avoid the main highways but may I recommend you to check out the the Causeway Coastal Route?  This well signposted route heads north out of Belfast bringing you to an area known as the Glens of Antrim.  The Glens are beautiful green valleys edged by the Atlantic Ocean.  The scenery changes round each corner of the coastal road as you head for Ballycastle.  From there the route heads west going past attractions such as Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge, The Giant's Causeway, Game of Thrones filming locations, The Bushmills Whiskey Distillery, Dunluce Castle and Mussenden Temple.  

Perhaps you could then continue West towards Derry/Londonderry and into Donegal to follow the Wild Atlantic Way.  The options are endless.

If you require further information on things to see and do in the area please contact us or take a look at the following link:
https://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/

I wish you an enjoyable trip!

Alison

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 16 Dec 2019 5:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Babette, 

I hope your travels from Australia to Ireland went well, and that you've settled in a wee bit. :) How is your trip so far? We all would love to hear more about your adventures, so feel free to share them here!