My grandfather I never knew

My grandfather I never knew

Author
Posted Thu 25 Jul 2019 8:47 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I am trying to trace info about my grandfather, who I never knew Robert Richard Biddulph born 1 Dec 1892 in Banagher County Offaly who moved to church Stanton and married Gladys Maud Sherring.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 25 Jul 2019 9:46 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Sue, 

I would love to see what I can do to point you in the right direction for more information about your grandfather! 

Since civil registration was introduced in Ireland in 1864, all of the birth, marriage and death records have been kept at the General Register Office of Ireland (GRO).

Have you already been able to trace his birth certificate, or any other documents about him and his wife Gladys? You can search through records free of charge on the Irish Genealogy page, and I was able to find a Richard Biddulph born in 1892, but in a different county (Tipperary). 

For more information, you can also directly reach out to GRO. :)

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 25 Jul 2019 11:28 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Sue

Your starting point will be an exploration of IrishGenealogy.ie and Rootsireland.ie websites.

For example, civil registers at IrishGenealogy.ie reveal that Robert Richard Biddulph, son of William Biddulph and Rebecca Clarke, was born at Congor (in district of Cloghjordan in Union of Borrisokane in north Tipperary) on 1 December 1892. This part of north Tipperary is bounded by County Offaly to the east.

I believe Congor is located in the townland of Ballyrickard North in the civil parish of Ardcrony, County Tipperary.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 25 Jul 2019 1:00 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I actually know those things from a family tree and I know he had brothers and sisters it was more if anyone knew the family personally anyone still over there things like that. Just wondered his occupation and why he came to England?
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 25 Jul 2019 1:22 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello again, Sue! 

Family trees and stories are wonderful sources of information indeed! If you're looking to find living family members in the area, I highly recommend getting in touch with Ireland Reaching Out. The lovely volunteers there try to connect relatives via reverse genealogical research, and this might be a way to find out more about the lives they left behind. 

Like Brian mentions above, searching through the Civil Records is a great place to start, since it will provide you with names, dates and other detailed information that can lead to other members of the family. :)

Please feel free to reach out if there is anything you'd like to know, and keep us posted on your findings!