I want to go off the beaten track and visit small towns rather than the cities. Any recommendations?...

I want to go off the beaten track and visit small towns rather than...

Author
Posted Thu 1 Aug 2019 8:18 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Exploring the island of Ireland’s small towns and villages is an adventure full of colourful characters and picturesque scenes. It’s often said that the road less travelled in Ireland will yield the unlikeliest of rewards… 

Grand castles and historical houses set in acres of beautiful grounds are a common sight when you visit the island’s towns and villages, and this is especially true of Hillsborough in County Down. Only 30 minutes away from Belfast, hop on a bus or train to discover Hillsborough Castle, where countless figures of history have stayed, including Benjamin Franklin. Every July, a food festival is held in the gardens, hosting local suppliers and artisan producers.

A stop at the charming town of Enniskillen in County Fermanagh is a must as most people use it as a base to sail, kayak or canoe from island to island on  Lough Erne. Linger in the town before you set off as there’s plenty on offer here, too. Explore the winding underground rivers at the Marble Arch Global Geopark and hike the Cuilcagh Legnabrocky Trail, a beautifully scenic route that will take you to the top of Cuilcagh Mountain.

With its colourful thatched cottages along narrow country lanes and lively melodies pouring out from the pubs, it’s no wonder Doolin in County Clare is one of the most popular spots along the Wild Atlantic Way. Warm welcomes and delicious food make this a great base for exploring the rest of County Clare, including the limestone paradise of The Burren.

You will stumble upon legends and historical monuments wherever you step in Ireland’s Ancient East, and there’s no better place to explore than Trim, County Meath. You can’t miss Trim Castle, the largest Anglo-Norman castle still standing in Ireland today. This grand castle has been overlooking the River Boyne since the 12th century and being so close to Dublin, it’s easy to take a day trip by car or public transport.  

Can any of our Community members recommend any other towns and villages on the island of Ireland?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/01-08-2019/0b83a7d8-f832-4a07-a656-d862.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 6 Aug 2019 5:57 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Just recently come back from a small touring  trip around Ireland  with relatives and found some nice places to visit and stay. The town that we all liked was Adare, came upon it by luck and enjoyed the town and surrounding area. My favourite place is Shannonbridge - beautiful location on the Shannon  and the food at Lukers Bar was superb .  Both Shannonbridge and LeighlinBridge are both good fishing places.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 7 Aug 2019 12:33 AM
View Quick Profile
Oh, I am loving this thread! 

Ellie, you surely brought up a spot or two that I've not visited, and now am very eager to!  And Ann, Shannonbridge is one of my favourite places! 

My own suggestion would have to be Dunseverick Castle.  Because it's so near Giants Causeway and Carrick-a-Rede bridge, it is often overlooked, but it is so worth visiting! Located on the edge of a dramatic cliff, the views are breath-taking. It's history includes a legendary visit from St. Patrick and a Viking invasion.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 7 Aug 2019 10:48 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
We'd have to agree with Ellie and say Doolin is the place to go for the best Irish experience! The vibrant and colourful village acts as a gateway into the heart of the Burren.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/07-08-2019/ad676471-e1a3-4abd-ab36-4903.png

Doolin is renowned for its traditional music and beautiful scenery - a must for any travel bucket list! Rooted in history and tradition, this is the pinnacle of Irish seaside villages. There are so many things to do here too - explore Doolin Cave (home to the longest free-hanging stalactite in Europe!), pop into any of the 4 pubs for a night of traditional music and good craic, take a ferry cruise under the renowned Cliffs of Moher or to one of the three Aran Islands!

For more information on this gorgeous little village, check out doolin.ie 
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 19 Aug 2019 2:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Allihies in West Cork.

Hands-down one of the most beautiful little villages I've ever come across.

I spent a wet and windy winters night there last year. I checked into my B&B (can't for the life of me remember the name - although it may have been seaview) and then legged it to O'Neill's Pub (60 second walk).

Really lovely little village.

Tonne of history attached to it, also.