Grandfathers Birth Certificate

Grandfathers Birth Certificate

Author
Posted Thu 1 Aug 2019 7:13 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I’m looking for a copy of my Grandfather birth certificate, he was born in 1883, I think in Knockglass in Roscommon.
Any help or advice how I can obtain a copy of his birth certificate would be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 1 Aug 2019 8:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Paul

You should be able to apply for this birth certificate from the General Register Office. Contact details are: 

General Register Office of Ireland, Government Offices,Convent Road, Roscommon, Ireland
Website - www.groireland.ie
Email - gro@health.irlgov.ie

You should also be able to view, download and print an 'uncertified' copy of this birth entry by searching, free of charge, 'civil records' at http://www.irishgenealogy.ie . Scanned images of all Irish civil birth records from 1864 through to 1918 can be viewed here. 

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 2 Aug 2019 2:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Paul,

It's great to see that you are researching your roots! :)

In 1864 civil registration was introduced in Ireland, which is when we started seeing the formal registration of births, marriages, adoptions and deaths. As Brian already mentioned above, in this case you can apply for a copy of his birth certificate via the General Register Office of Ireland (GRO), which is where all of these records are being kept. 

We hope you'll receive an answer from them soon, and please don't hesitate to reach out here if you have any other questions!