Easy mountain/hill hikes for great landscape photography

Easy mountain/hill hikes for great landscape photography

Author
Posted Sun 4 Aug 2019 2:55 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello, 
I will visit the Northern part of Ireland and North-Ireland in September. I am looking for easy beginner hikes to places with great views on mountains for landscape photography. It doesn't matter if the actual top is a hard to climb rock, as long as the view a little bit lower is great as well. I would like to go to the Mourne Mountains and the north (west) coastal region. Connemara will be the most southern area I think. 

Thank you!
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 5 Aug 2019 9:48 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Theo,

Hiking and walking are very popular interests on the island of Ireland with som many super places to visit and photograph!

The Mourne Mountains are a great range to visit, plenty of legends to discover too including the Cloughmore Stone, Legend has it that Fionn Mac Cumhaill threw it from the opposite side of Carlingford Lough at a rival, but who knows the true origin of this solitary stone.

There are some wonderful community posts by Konrad Keely that would be of interest to you for your time over in the Northwest of the island of Ireland. The Urris Hills are a wonderful part of the Inishowen Peninsula and The Bluestack Mountains equally as spectacular as would be a visit to Slieve League a fantastic example of sea cliffs with a couple of very doable walks to the top.

We hope this has stared your itinerary off on a good route for your time with us, hopefully, some of our other members will add their own favourites too.

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 5 Aug 2019 10:41 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 43 minutes ago Visits: 22K
Hi Theo,
I have been talking to a colleague of mine and have received the following recommendations - 
This is a very large geographical area to cover with lots of opportunities, but in his opinion these are a good possibilities:
Mourne Mountains - Slieve Martin to Cloghmor (Rostrevor)/ Silent Valley for Slieve Binian/ Tullymore Forest Park/ alt. Newry Fathom Canal Walk
Causeway - Benone Strand & Downhill/ Fair Hill/ Glenariff Forest Park
Donegal - Slieve League/ Mount Errigal/ Bluestack Trail (part of International Appalachian Way)
Connemara - Mweelrea (tallest mountain in Connemara)/ Twelve Pins

http://www.walkni.com/destinations/mourne-mountains/
http://www.walkni.com/walks/234/glenariff-forest-park-scenic-trail/
https://www.wildatlanticway.com/plan-your-trip/donegal/adventure/abseiling/details/sliabh-liag-slieve-league-cliffs
https://outsider.ie/ireland/walks-donegal/
http://www.walkconnemara.com/longwalks.html

One important point to remember, is that due to weather the mountain walks will not always provide a good view (low cloud and changeable weather conditions) and may not provide great photographic opportunities.
Safety is very important – good clothing for the weather – boots are a must and always follow the guidelines provided on the links regarding general safety on the mountains.

Below are some pictures my colleague took at Benone Strand with the Donegal Mountains in the background and a shot of Carlingford Mountain from Newry Fathom Line to give a sense of what can be captured without venturing into the mountains.

I hope this helps.
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/05-08-2019/43ef5baa-c4fb-4f6a-970a-eefd.jpg

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/05-08-2019/45364f18-5ae2-4134-8d19-5eb4.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 5 Aug 2019 11:55 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you very much already for your suggestions!
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 6 Aug 2019 8:42 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Theo,

I think that you should check Konrad's posts and even reach out to him.

He is a hiking and photography fan, including drone photography/video and he is based in Nothern Ireland.
Who knows, you could even go on a hike together!  😊

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 6 Aug 2019 9:13 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Theo I have a few videos up on a thread on this site if you’d like to visit them. I have a a YouTube channel it’s called Konrad Kealey’s Ireland. There is loads more there, you can view them and if there’s any questions by all means feel free to ask me. Konrad
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 8 Aug 2019 1:05 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 26 Jul 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 193
Hi Theo, 

My favouite walk in the Mournes is to Blue Lough from Carrick Little (Slieve Binnian) carpark on Head Road just behind Annalong village. The best thing about it is that you are right in the middle of the Mournes without having to climb any mountains! You can also continue the walk slightly past Blue Lough to the top of the hill to look down into Ben Crom Reservoir. The views are just gorgeous. 

Enjoy your trip.

Gillian

Gillian Hunt
Research Officer
Ulster Historical Foundation
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 9 Aug 2019 12:34 PM
View Quick Profile
Thanks again for al the great suggestions!