I love watersports but with the water being so cold, what can I try out in Ireland?

I love watersports but with the water being so cold, what can I try...

Author
Posted Thu 8 Aug 2019 8:28 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Experience thrills and spills along river rapids in your kayak. Ride the waves on the island of Ireland’s coastlines with a surfboard and wetsuit, or experience the magic moment when a whale breaches the surface off the coast… if you’re more at home amongst the currents, then a trip to the island of Ireland is going to be pure aquatic bliss.

Our famously unpredictable weather is thanks to the Gulf Stream, an ocean current that moves warm water from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic. This means that Ireland and the UK both enjoy mild winters and cool summers. If you want to try any of the watersports while you’re here, as long as you have a cosy wetsuit to wear you won’t have to brace yourself for frigid waters… just refreshingly cool currents.

If you’re a keen kayaker then the only question that you need to answer is: where do you want to go first? You’ll find your worries slowly drifting away when you paddle along Upper Lough Erne. This is the perfect spot for beginners, and great for sightseeing, too! Tour foodie-haven Enniskillen, or make time to stop at the mysterious Devenish Island.

Surfing off the Wild Atlantic Way is an unforgettable experience. The best place to experience the best swells and breaks has to be Bundoran, County Donegal, Ireland’s surf capital. The most popular spot for experienced surfers to test themselves is known as The Peak. Otherwise, for beginners, you can practice with the Bundoran Surf Co before trying the turbulent Atlantic waters for yourself.

Ireland’s oceans are rich with fish, corals and anemones. Spy dolphins, dogfish and even basking sharks on your journey. So, take a deep breath and dive in… Pack your wetsuits because it’s time to have an adventure of a lifetime on the island of Ireland’s waters!

Can our Community members recommend any other watersports for our visitors to try?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/08-08-2019/d9af3e62-b77a-4039-ba2a-8bdd.jpg