Limerick to Glengarriff to Cobh, Co. Cork to Dublin off the beaten path but must see

Limerick to Glengarriff to Cobh, Co. Cork to Dublin off the beaten...

Author
Posted Fri 16 Aug 2019 4:42 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi everyone,
Myself and my family of 8 are arriving the end of June 2020 and staying in Ireland until July 7. We are staying in Limerick for a day, then driving to Glengarriff for 2 days, then headed to Cobh for 3 days then to Durrow for 1 night then Dublin for 2 days. 
I am overwhelmed at everything there is to do and see. I would like to do some castle visits, must see natural wonders and things that are not your usual places to go. We all want authentic experiences and immersion into the areas.
Any help would be appreciated. We plan on doing day trips to surrounding areas where will be staying. Thank you.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 16 Aug 2019 7:52 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Kelly,

It's wonderful to have you join our wee community and I can assure you that there are loads of us here who would be more than happy to help make planning your trip far more enjoyable. 

I can certainly tell that you've put a lot of thought into planning already! Your itinerary sounds just wonderful and there are plenty of spots nearby for you and your family to enjoy. Since you are starting this journey in Limerick, I do hope you don't mind terribly if I gush over the county a bit. This article on Limerick touches on a few of my favourite spots both in Limerick city and the surrounding countryside. In particular, I hope that you might like to have a taste of traditional Irish food at the Milk Market, tour the Adare Manor, or take a step back through time at Lough Gur. It's certainly a wonderful spot to start your adventure! 

Now, if you are wanting to venture off the beaten path I can see why Glengarriff is next on your list. There's so much to see that's natural, real, and authentic. A personal favourite is Glengarriff Woods Nature Reserve. It's a spot that truly does capture so much of Ireland's charm, if I do say so myself. There are sweeping woods and grasslands, mountains, streams, and even waterfalls all ready to be explored. Or, if you're wanting to see nature a bit more tame, Garinish Island might be well worth a visit.

There's so much more that I could suggest, but it might be best to take a wee breather before I prattle on a bit too much. 

Instead, do you mind terribly if I ask if anything has caught your eye so far? I'd love to hear about what piques your interest so that I can make sure everything is perfectly tailored for you and your loved ones.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 16 Aug 2019 8:53 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello Rochelle,
Thank you for a good place to start.  I am totally into the Milk Market, I tried to set a reservation for Adare but the dates were not available. My son in law was in the navy, so I think he would love the flying boat museum. I'd like to see the Cliffs of Moher, but it is too far north of were will be and I'd like to start heading south on day 2. 

I was thinking about the Ring of Kerry and/or Beara. I am assuming these are just scenic drives right? I would like to take the scenic route with a stop or two on our way to our second stop, Glengarriff. Castletownbere looks nice. Maybe a stop at Killarney Gardens and a stop at Garnish Island. Is there anything else we should see near Glengarriff or on way to Cobh? Maybe Kinsale, Adrmore?

Kilkenney and Waterford are a must for me.

A medievil or viking dinner would be fun as long as it's not hokey. My daughter is Pescatarian so we have to make sure there is something she can eat; so that knocks out Bunratty.

The biggest thing is not being rushed, but exploring and having fun. I'd like to stop at Kytelers Inn and other places like that. Thank you for all of your help! I've been the only one planning this trip as most of the others are like.. we trust you lol.

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 17 Aug 2019 10:10 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
Hi Kelly,

It looks like your Itinerary is coming together well, The ring of Kerry can be done as a scenic drive but the area does have some excellent spots worth stopping for, personally, I cannot do the ring without at least a stop to admire Ballycarbery Castle or spending some time in Killarney National Park. Ireland.com put a trip idea together that covers some of the best spots to check out. Ring of Kerry
There is a link in there for the Skellig ring too, which is also a fascinating detour if you are into your history.

Beara is more of scenic drive in the traditional sense but as you mentioned, you would want to make the trip to Garnish Island if you're doing that drive as the pair really go hand in hand. here is a wee article on Beara and Garnish Island

If you are travelling between Glenarrif and Cobh, the best thing to do is take a tour of the Haven Coast. That link will take you to a 2-day tour, but if you don't have that amount of time. I would at least try to squeeze in Timoleague Abbey and the Old Head of Kinsale

As for your plans for a Medieval/Viking dinner, I am a meat-eater myself, but Bunratty does offer a vegetarian option. You might also want to look at Knappogue Castle. I have not done it myself, however, some of my friends have and tell me it is on a whole other level. They also were able to cater for one of my vegan friends too.

Just as a side point, The area you are visiting is also close to my second favourite spot on the entire island, but then I am a history geek. Craggaunowen Is just north of Limerick, up by Ennis. There are some excellent reconstructions in there including a ring fort, crannog and a Keep. They usually have people actually living the life on site as well, a proper living history experience and well worth the few extra miles. 

Anyway, there is some food for thought.
If you want more suggestions or have any questions about what I have posted, ask away.
I have spent a lot of time kicking about that area.