Killarney and Beyond~~

Killarney and Beyond~~

Author
Posted Tue 20 Aug 2019 12:29 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi there, again...thank you for all your help here on the board! You all are so wonderful~~

So we will be in Ireland the first week of September (total of ten days). We plan to drive from Cork to Killarney (as our base for the two days). We're trying to sort out a "rough itinerary" for these days. We don't want to run ourselves ragged- having said that, we do want to make the most of the two days. Here's what we're thinking, and again, we're completely new to this- please feel free to chime in!
Day 1 Drive to the B&B and head to Killarney Park. Head to Ross Castle for a Jaunty Cars/Boat tour with Tagney Tours (2 hrs, starting at noon, or 12:45 PM). From there we want to see Ladies View, Molls Gap, and drive down to Kenmare. Head back to Killarney by evening. See the town, etc. (got any tips for great local pubs?).
Day 2 Drive to Gap of Dunloe, then over towards Portmagee to take the Skellig "eco tour" boat tour.
Is this altogether too much? We honestly don't know what to expect in terms of time and road, etc. Will we have time to even go to Kenmare the first day after all the other stops? Will we even have the time to make a Skellig "eco" trip? Skellig is something like 12 or 3 PM (lasting 2.5 hrs)? Could you just buy tickets the day of? Are we not allowing enough time to take in Killarney or any of the other fine towns along the way?

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 20 Aug 2019 10:34 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello again, Robin! :)

You won't have to wait much longer now, and 10 days is a wonderful amount of time to explore the island. I think it's a great idea to take your time, but still try and see as much as possible in those two days.

So I've collected a few suggestions for you per day: 

Day 1:

Since you're in Killarney National Park, check out Muckross House as well if you have the time. Killarney itself is filled with wonderful and musical pubs, and I highly recommend a trip to Laurels Pub. They host regular live Irish music/dance nights, so if you’re looking for some entertainment here, you won’t be disappointed. Another traditional pub with great musicians is Murphy's, and on top of that they also serve lovely food! My last recommendation is Courtney's Bar, which has been a public house since the 1800's, and is super cosy. 

Day 2: 

The drive from Killarney, via the Gap of Dunloe, on to Portmagee will take around 1,5 hours, but I'd recommend to take some time for stops and photo moments along the way. The Skellig Eco Tour departs from Portmagee Marina, and there are several tours available during the day. I would recommend booking your tour beforehand, just so you'll have everything sorted for that day. The tour does indeed take around 2,5 hours, and from there on you'll have time to explore the area. Is there anything else that's not on your list, but that you would like to see? 

Your first day is a fun and packed day indeed, with lots of things to see and do. What do you have planned for the next day?

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 20 Aug 2019 11:04 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi, Melin~
Thanks for your suggestions! I will post our tentative itinerary soon...
For now, I wanted to share what other folks have told me about our Day 2 idea:

Planning on driving through the Gap of Dunloe to get to Portmagee for a Skellig boat trip is fraught with likely and potential pitfalls. During regular day time hours the jarveys will likely refuse passage (at least, at anything quicker than a snail's pace) insisting that it is THEIR road and NOT for through traffic. Good luck convincing them otherwise. Even if you do make it through, you'll exit very close to Moll's gap and then need to drive half-way around the ROK (counterclockwise, rather than the recommended, clockwise).

My question is, is this one person's take on it or is this something I need to consider?
Thank you!
R.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Aug 2019 8:29 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Robin,

We look forward to having a look at your itinerary for the whole of your time with us!

As your friends point out, The Gap of Dunloe is a wonderful drive where the jaunty carts also travel. The location is one that needs to be savored, so if time is of the essence and you can't afford to enjoy the slow drive then feel free to leave it out. Personally, the views are well worth the time.

Assuming you travel down through the Gap from the Dunloe direction and end up at Moll's Gap, take a right on the R568 towards Sneem. This takes you clockwise towards Portmagee the preferred car direction as all of the tour buses drive counterclockwise. If you start your day early enough, you may well miss the majority of the tour buses coming towards you before getting to the Eco tour departure point.

We hope this helps settle your mind on your plans. 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 27 Aug 2019 11:00 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 16
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 20 Jul 2022 7:52 PM Visits: 328
Hi Robin.
Great that you are coming to visit Killarney / Kerry. I honestly think that you are over planning / thinking your time in Kerry. Everything you have written is possible to do. I suggest that you arrive at your accommodations in Killarney and your host will also give his / her time to revise and confirm with you all your plans. No need to pre book any local tours except the eco tour of the SKELLIGS. Have you made enquiries on a landing trip to the SKELLIGS ? or perhaps you prefer not.
Just come along and enjoy it.
Conor
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 27 Aug 2019 8:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Conor, we have decided to not do Skellig this trip. It will give us a great excuse to return in the near future! Looking forward to our trip. We leave this coming Saturday, the 31st! Thank you kindly for taking the time to offer your thoughts.
Pax, RM

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 24 Oct 2019 10:53 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
So Robin, how did it go?

I am looking forward to hearing all about your trip and don't hesitate to share your tips and pictures.  😉