I'm researching my family tree in County Tipperary, but what else can I do?

I'm researching my family tree in County Tipperary, but what else can...

Author
Posted Wed 28 Aug 2019 8:47 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Discovering your family tree can be an adventure. Putting names to the faces in old photographs and learning their stories – finding that long-lost connection is just one way of keeping your loved ones’ memories alive. If you’re trying to find your loved ones in County Tipperary, there’s some great resources for you to use, and plenty of things for you to see and do while you’re there!

Located in Ireland’s Ancient East, ancient history is at the heart of County Tipperary’s magic. Surrounded by mountains and heritage sites, you’ll find a warm welcome wherever you step in Ireland’s Golden Vale. If you’re looking for spellbinding views, then head to Lough Derg, Ireland’s pleasure lake. Straddling the border between County Tipperary and County Clare, take in the sights from a pleasure cruise or kayak along this divine blueway.

When in Tipperary, you’ll often find the name ‘Butler’ popping up time and time again. The family built numerous castles and fine houses, not only as a defensive measure but also to show off their wealth. Now, visitors can see how they left their mark on the county by embarking on the Butler Trail. This route will guide you through bustling towns and villages as you make your way along the River Suir Valley. Learn the stories of these ancient landmarks and discover a history that will take you back more than 5,000 years.

Discovered accidentally in 1833 by Michael Condon when he dropped his crowbar, the Mitchelstown caves and its series of vast underground passages and caverns could have easily remained lost forever. Countless explorers, including Alexander Henry Halliday, have toured these passages since then and now so can you! Little has changed since the discovery in the 19th century, but that doesn’t make the tour any less awe-inspiring. A guided tour will take you along well-lit passageways where you can admire the rock formations as guides talk you through the history and geology of the cave! 

Artisan delights are easy to find in County Tipperary, so you’ll never go hungry wherever you are. You can even have a picnic basket made up for you by local producers with the finest Tipperary produce around. Take your basket up to the Galtee Mountains or settle on the banks of Lough Derg and just admire the fine Tipperary countryside. 

Can our Community members recommend anything else to do in Tipperary?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/28-08-2019/6a9e1e2a-3154-4539-9b4f-2381.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 22 Jul 2022 10:04 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (13 reputation)Community Member (13 reputation)Community Member (13 reputation)Community Member (13 reputation)Community Member (13 reputation)Community Member (13 reputation)Community Member (13 reputation)Community Member (13 reputation)Community Member (13 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 29 Apr 2023 3:18 PM Visits: 91
Hi Ellie!

Another way to spend the day in Tipperary is by visiting the Tipperary Racecourse.

For lovers of the sport, visiting Tipperary Races is a must!
There are plenty of options to enjoy your day at Tipperary Racecourse. You can purchase tickets online or General Admission tickets at the gate on the day. 
It's also a great opportunity to get dressed up 💚. You can check out more information about this here.

Plan your unique day and perhaps your stay for an unforgettable experience! 🏇