Need help finding locations in Tipperary

Need help finding locations in Tipperary

Author
Posted Sun 29 Sep 2019 3:41 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (229 reputation)I'm into this (229 reputation)I'm into this (229 reputation)I'm into this (229 reputation)I'm into this (229 reputation)I'm into this (229 reputation)I'm into this (229 reputation)I'm into this (229 reputation)I'm into this (229 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
United States
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 9 Jul 2022 6:47 PM Visits: 7
I am a descendant of Thomas Webster II and Mary Cooper of Blackcommon Kilcooly Tipperary Ireland and their son John Webster born May 6, 1832 and his wife Sarah Jane Johnstone.
In September of 2020, I am bringing my parents to Ireland. The only things on my Dad's list of things to see, are places his family lived, worked or worshiped.
1) John owned a farm at New Park, Townland of Blackcommon, Barony of Slieverdagh and County Tipperary. (I copied this from a family history book). How would I go about finding this farm? The farm at New Park was 1/2 mile from Bonlea. The Ruckles and Switzer family farms were all in the same area.
2) Wesleyian Methodist Church at Bonlea on Palatine Street.
3) Kilcooly Parish Church,
4) Parish School-ip in the Slieveradagh Hills.
5) Coal Mines of Ballingarry-across the King River in Lower Ballingary
6) Palatine Street in The Village of Commons and
7) Kilcooly Abbey. 

I am not sure if any of these places still exist. I am getting my information from a very old copy of book called The Tipperary Websters by Jean Webster. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 30 Sep 2019 10:37 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Dawn,

It's lovely to hear that you and your parents will be over to see us next year looking to visit some of your ancestors old stomping grounds!

There is some information on the townlands of NewPark and also Blackcommon that you can have a look at and hopefully when in the area, the old buildings will still be there. Once in the location, a visit to the local pub or shop will offer some more information.

Kilcooley Abbey, not too far from Gortnahoe near the County Tipperary/ Kilkenny border should be easy enough to find once in the area, although a ruin it is still a substantial building. Kilcooley parish church is also in the area and has several graves which may also hold some information.

While the coal mines are now closed and flooded, again once in Ballingarry you should be able to locate them. Ballingarry have a Facebook page that you may be interested in, it has a link to a youtube video of the mines when in operation.

I couldn't find information on Bonlea or the church in particular, not sure if they are still known as areas or very old townlands now no longer recognized.

I hope this gives you lots of inspiration, and hopefully, your fellow members and some industry partners will be able to add to this information!

Speak soon,
Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 30 Sep 2019 11:57 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi Dawn

You can see these places on google maps and I would suggest contacting the local Parish Office to see if they can recommend a local historian to assist you? Boulea is the name of the townland though, not Bonlea. 

Perhaps the local historical society can help:
Tipperary Studies, The Source, Cathedral Street, Thurles, Co. Tipperary.
www.tipperarystudies.ie/
Email: studies@tipperarycoco.ie

I hope this helps! 
Áine

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 5 Dec 2020 8:45 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi Dawn. I am assuming your family trip did not go ahead as planned and my reply isn't too late. There is a very informative website maintained by a Canadian gentleman who has done extensive family research in the area you mention. This is a link to his page -  A Drive Along The Palatine Road in the Slieveardagh Hills of Tipperary     Slieveardagh Rural Development Centre in Killenaule may also be able to advise you. Kindest regards, Michael 
Profile Picture

Posted Sat 5 Dec 2020 9:24 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
United States
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 9 Jul 2022 6:47 PM Visits: 7
Thank you all very much! Mr. Keating you are correct, we did not make it to Ireland in 2021. I will most definitely check out these recourses. 
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 6 Dec 2020 11:10 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Thanks to Michael for his additional suggestions!

Dawn, we hope that you can indeed visit us in the future and make those special journeys that your dad has listed and many more super locations along the way.

Until we can meet, stay safe and well.

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 31 Dec 2021 10:25 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 31 Dec 2021 10:44 PM Visits: 4
Hello my name i saoirse maher. I am nearly 26 and I am trying to locate my father Phillip Hasset living In Fethard last time I seen him is when I was 12
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 2 Jan 2022 7:09 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 10 hours ago Visits: 661
We wish you well in your search, Saoirse.

Regards,
Eoin
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 14 Mar 2022 5:06 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 26 Jul 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 193
Hi Saoirse, I would recommend you search for local facebook groups you could join (just search Fethard on facebook and a number of different groups come up e.g. Fethard GAA) and ask in those groups if anyone knows of your father as you will be linking directly with local residents.

All the best with your search, 

Gillian
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 17 May 2022 6:08 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 18 May 2022 2:02 AM Visits: 287
I am going to Ireland in Sept 2022 .  My 4x great grandfather John Switzer moved to the Barker Estate in 1773.  My 3rd great grandfather Nathaniel Switzer was born at Newpark Farm , The Commons. In 1776 and I would like to see where the farm was located, and visit my 4x gr grandfathers grave in Kilcooley Abbey Graveyard.  Are there any Switzer families still residing in this area?