Traveling in February

Traveling in February

Author
Posted Mon 7 Oct 2019 3:46 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi! 

I am headed back to Ireland in February and am thinking about renting a car to do a road trip. Since it will be the winter, any advice on where to take the road trip to and what to see? 

Any and all help appreciated! 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 8 Oct 2019 9:10 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi!

It's great to hear that you will be returning to see us, our first question would be, where did you see last time?

February would still be considered Winter so wrap up warm for those cool days where there is nothing better than a walk on a deserted beach or stroll around a city or town looking for a few bargains.

Most attractions are open all year round and February will be no exception. Some places will be closed until later in the season, so it depends on what you are interested in, so please let us know more about your ideal trip and we can help fill your itinerary!

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 8 Oct 2019 11:06 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thanks so much! I am always planning my next trip back and I am excited to see what it's like in the winter. I have been to Dublin,Kilkenny, Killarney, and Galway in the past with day trips to Howth and Wicklow. 

I will be flying into Dublin Airport so my road trip will be starting there. I'd like to see parts of the country I haven't before and am open to seeing anything really. I'll be around for 6 days if that helps too! 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 9 Oct 2019 9:48 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Yolanda, 

It's lovely to see that you are planning a winter trip for February next year! Six days is a good amount of time for a road trip. Have you hired a car during any of your previous visits? You can find more helpful information about it on the 'I'm thinking of renting a car - what do I need to know?' thread. 

Since you're looking to explore new places, Northern Ireland might be an option. It has the beautiful Causeway Coastal route and lively cities like Belfast and Derry-Londonderry, and the best thing is that it is only a two hour drive from Dublin!

From there it is only a short trip to the most northern county of the island, County Donegal. During the winter months you even get the chance to see the Northern Lights here, and if you have the time you can follow the Wild Atlantic Way down along County Sligo, County Mayo to Galway, to make your way back to Dublin from there.

You can also go south from Dublin to Ireland's Ancient East and the Viking Triangle. The south east is filled with history and lovely views in County Waterford, County Wexford, County Meath and many more areas. You could even visit some of the places in County Wicklow that you haven't seen yet. :) If you are a history buff, you'll love this area! 

I know there is lots to choose from, so feel free to reach out to us here if you have any questions. 
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 26 Oct 2019 1:16 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:02 PM Visits: 2.4K
Hi Yolanda,

As Melin has suggested, you may wish to explore the Causeway Coast and Glens which is located approximately 140 miles north of Dublin.  This is a beautiful area, with lots of beaches, forests, rivers and glens.  It also has attractions such as the Giant's Causeway (Northern Ireland's only UNESCO World Heritage site), Dunluce Castle and Bushmills Distillery, the oldest licensed whiskey distillery in the world.  

To find out more about the Causeway Coast and Glens and what it has to offer please take a look at our website: 
https://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/

Indeed, if you have any questions about the area, Coleraine Visitor Information Centre will be happy to help.

I wish you an enjoyable trip!
Alison
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 18 Dec 2019 1:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Hi Yolanda, your trip is getting closer and closer! :) How are your plans coming along? We're always here if you need anything. 
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 5 Jan 2020 1:24 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 18
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 26 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 60
I've done the drive from Dublin to Kinsale in January. The main thing you need to be careful about is that you'll have limited daylight for your road trip in the winter and Ireland's backroads can be quite dark so make sure to plan your itinerary accordingly. Kinsale is one of Ireland's most popular foodie destinations and on the way you can get a dose of nature at the Wexford Wildfowl Reserve and perhaps spot the rare Greenland white-fronted geese that overwinter there. You can also get a dose of history at the John F. Kennedy homestead which I found to be an interesting diversion as an American living in Dublin. Hope you have an amazing trip, Yolanda!
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 13 Jan 2020 1:43 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi everyone! 

Thank you all so much for all the recommendations! My trip for February is just about put together! I've taken a lot of the advice for the Causeway Coastal Route since I've decided on that as my main focus for this trip's exploring! I can't wait to be back! 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 14 Jan 2020 10:08 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
Hi Yolanda, thanks so much for getting back to us here! I'm so excited you're almost back, and I think it's a great idea to explore the Causeway Coast among other places. :)

Have you started preparing and packing for your trip yet? 

Me and I'm sure the rest of our members can't wait to hear all about your adventures here on the Emerald Isle, so keep us posted on your travels along the Causeway! We're always here if you have any questions. :)
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 6 Mar 2020 1:30 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
Hello Yolanda, how are you? :) If I remember correctly, you had your road trip around the island last month. We would love to hear more about your adventures and experiences. How was your trip?