I LOVE Halloween, and I've heard the island of Ireland is the place to be! Where can I go?

I LOVE Halloween, and I've heard the island of Ireland is the place to...

Author
Posted Wed 9 Oct 2019 8:33 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Halloween and Ireland are closely linked. The holiday’s origins trace back to Ireland’s Celtic past and the festival of Samhain, a time when crops and livestock were gathered in preparation for the coming winter. It also signified the last day of the year, when departed souls would return home and darker spirits would become visible.

While Halloween has transformed into a worldwide event, the old sense of mystery and celebration that characterised Samhain is still present on the island of Ireland.

Considered one of the greatest Halloween celebrations in the world, DerryHalloween takes place between October 26th and November 1st and is stuffed with events, including a live murder trial, a 6k zombie run and a haunted harvest market.

While many of these celebrations come steeped in history, there are new events that offer a fresh and exciting perspective on the lore of Samhain. The first annual Púca Halloween Festival takes place in counties Meath and Louth this year, featuring three nights of dazzling light shows, musical events and interactive experiences dotted across the Hill of Ward, Trim Castle and the streets of Drogheda.

Belfast’s Halloween Monster Mash boasts a diverse range of activities. From 4pm to 7pm on Sunday the 27th of October, the slipways will be illuminated with street theatre, fire shows, craft workshops, fairground rides and much more. The attractions all lead up to the city’s biggest fireworks display, which kicks off at 6.45pm. To top it all off, the event is free to all.

In Dublin, EPIC, the Irish Emigration Museum, will host a celebration of Halloween’s ancient origins. The festivities kick off with a turnip design competition and culminate on the 28th with a family-friendly trail into the museum’s vaults. For a spookier excursion, try a night tour of Wicklow Gaol, one of the island of Ireland’s most haunted buildings.

Does our Community know of any other spooky Halloween festivities around the island of Ireland?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/09-10-2019/c75bf097-c027-4c3c-b3c3-c10d.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 20 Oct 2019 10:04 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Halloween celebrations are always a great time to get out at night!

As well as my favourite Halloween parade and fireworks in Derry~Londonderry, there are lots of celebrations around the area, with Halloween in Limavady showcasing some of the events this year.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/20-10-2019/d2034f03-95e8-47fa-804b-dc6c.jpg

Another great one for the whole family will be the Halloween Spooktacular at the Marble Arch Caves, just outside of Enniskillen,a super place to visit any time of the year!