This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Travel after Brexit

Travel after Brexit

Author
Posted Wed 9 Oct 2019 10:44 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (234 reputation)I'm into this (234 reputation)I'm into this (234 reputation)I'm into this (234 reputation)I'm into this (234 reputation)I'm into this (234 reputation)I'm into this (234 reputation)I'm into this (234 reputation)I'm into this (234 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 9 Oct 2019 11:12 AM Visits: 7
I am planning a holiday to NI from UK in my car.
If I decide to go south to the republic will I need an international driving licence and special insurance?
Do I need to register with local police or other agencies?
I will avoid staying in border areas for obvious reasons but are Brits safe in rural areas such as Galway?  Should I stick to major towns?
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 9 Oct 2019 12:50 PM
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 15
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 8 Jun 2020 3:07 PM Visits: 483
Hello Cere,

It's wonderful to hear you're planning a visit to Northern Ireland!

There are many lovely gems for you to discover all around and I highly recommend to all the travel tips for places to visit here.

Regarding your inquiry, it's absolutely safe for your to visit any area!

Additionally, you won't need an International Driving License in any case. You can verify this directly on the following guidance about Driving in the EU after Brexit.

I'd also suggest for you to contact your car insurance company for more info!

Hopefully, this information sheds some light on this particular area for you.

Happy travels,

Romina

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 10 Oct 2019 8:23 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (24.7K reputation)Industry Member (24.7K reputation)Industry Member (24.7K reputation)Industry Member (24.7K reputation)Industry Member (24.7K reputation)Industry Member (24.7K reputation)Industry Member (24.7K reputation)Industry Member (24.7K reputation)Industry Member (24.7K reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 20
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Sat 26 Sep 2020 12:31 PM Visits: 1.2K
To drive in the Republic of Ireland as a visitor in the event of a no deal, you will have to get a motor insurance green card from your insurance company. Green Cards are an international certificate of motor insurance issued by insurance providers in the UK, proving that the driver has adequate third-party motor insurance cover for driving in the country(ies) being traveled to. They are not cards in the strict sense – they are paper documents which, under current international rules, should be printed on green paper.
To get a Green Card, you should contact your insurance provider. As this may take anything from 15 days to one month to process you should factor in that time before travelling. Any charge for a Green Card will depend on your insurer.