Public Transportation from Sligo to Bushmills

Public Transportation from Sligo to Bushmills

Author
Posted Fri 11 Oct 2019 8:00 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I was looking for assistance with the most direct way to get from Sligo to Bushmills in November 2019. Is there a train that does not take you back to Dublin? Since we would be venturing into Northern Ireland and crossing borders are there any additional steps to take? Thank you!
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 12 Oct 2019 4:45 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Patty,

I'd be more than happy to help offer a wee bit of advice!

If you're looking to travel by rail, then you might need to make a stop at a larger city in Northern Ireland. There is a train that runs from Sligo and Belfast, though that is still an hour or two away from Bushmills. I'd suggest taking a peek at Irish Rail's website to see what options work best for you. There's also a wonderful article about traveling by rail, which might be able to help.

Another wonderful resource is Translink, which can make planning your journey simple. It looks like there isn't public transport directly from Sligo to Bushmills, but you can take a bus from Sligo to Portrush, and then from Portrush to Bushmills. 

Finally, on the topic of moving between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, this should be very easy. There isn't usually any need to check passports when crossing into Northern Ireland, or vice versa. That said, I would be sure to have all documents for both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland on hand, just to be safe. For more on what you might need, there's another lovely article on passports and visas that may help.

I'm just so excited to be able to welcome you this November. If you need any help planning your journey, please do let me know! I'd also just love to hear more about your plans, if you're willing.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 18 Oct 2019 3:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: 1 hour ago Visits: 2.4K
Hi Patty,

This might be an option for you.  There is a bus that goes from Sligo to Derry.  It is the route 64 Expressway and the timetable can be viewed at: www.expressway.ie  The journey takes about 2.5 hours.  From Derry you would need to take a train to Coleraine.  The train service runs hourly and the journey is very scenic as the railway line runs along the coastline for a good part of the journey.  Coleraine train station and bus station are located together and from the bus station you can catch the Causeway Rambler Service (172/402) to Bushmills.  This bus journey takes about 35 minutes.  This bus service runs half hourly.  These timetables can be viewed at: www.translink.co.uk 

I hope this is helpful in planning your journey north.
Anne