What’s the story behind these round towers that I keep seeing? I’d love to know the history!

What’s the story behind these round towers that I keep seeing? I’d...

Author
Posted Wed 16 Oct 2019 9:51 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
The round towers you see dotted around Ireland are beacons of the country’s Christian heritage, but they are only one piece of the rich tapestry that constitutes Ireland’s history. Monastic settlements – consisting of churches, crosses and graves – were a vital place of refuge and prayer. And each gives a unique insight and understanding of the Ireland of old.

Clonmacnaoise in County Offaly was one of the leading centres of religion in Europe. Dating back to the year 545, it became Ireland’s most famous monastery, even hosting the burial sites for the high kings of Tara. Located on the banks of the River Shannon, this site produced much of Ireland’s finest Celtic art and manuscripts and was visited by Pope John Paul II.

Glendalough’s most famous landmark is undoubtedly its round tower. Built almost 1000 years ago by the monks of St Kevin’s monastery, the tower stands at an impressive 33 metres tall. Known as “cloigtheach’, meaning bell tower, it was a place of refuge for monks when the monastery was under attack.

Ireland’s monastic sites also had high crosses, carved with panels depicting bible stories. The Ardboe Cross in Ulster depicts both Old Testament and New Testament scenes, and is framed by the remains of a church and abbey. The Devenish Monastic Site on Lough Erne in Fermanagh has ruins from different time periods, the earliest being St Molaise house and its round tower which both date back to the 12th Century.

Monasterboice is an early Christian settlement just north of Drogheda, in County Louth. Founded in the late 5th Century by Saint Buite, the site boasts two churches, a sundial and the spectacular Muiredach’s High Cross, regarded as one of the finest high cross in Ireland.

Ireland’s monastic past is particularly evident in Kells, with medieval remains scattered across the town. The monastery was erected by St Columcille’s order in the ninth century. The monks were originally based on the Scottish island of Iona, but were forced to flee due to Viking invasions.

Do any of our Community members know of any memorable monastic sites in Ireland?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/16-10-2019/9117d85b-eb00-4142-be2f-7d0d.jpg