I want my trip to be as 'green' as possible, what sustainable activities can I do?

I want my trip to be as 'green' as possible, what sustainable...

Author
Posted Wed 23 Oct 2019 8:47 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Sustainable living has a key part of modern life, and on the island of Ireland there are so many ways to enjoy yourself while protecting the environment.

First off, you want to know where you’re going to rest your head of an evening. Located in County Down, Hemp Cottage is crafted with local wood and natural materials. This serene, secluded cottage is only two miles away from Crossgar village, so you’ll have access to everything you need for a relaxing trip.

For a more luxurious experience, Gregan’s Castle Hotel in the beautiful wilderness of County Clare has great service and outstanding food, all delivered in a sustainable, eco-friendly way. The electricity is generated from Irish windmills, they use efficient combi-condensing gas boilers and in 2005, they planted 250 trees to support the natural wildlife habitat. 

Walking, hiking, surfing or cycling are always great sustainable activities, and the island of Ireland has countless hiking routes, coastal walks and mountain trails. If you’re looking for a mix of cultural treasures, active exploration and natural beauty, the Great Western Greenway boasts Norman castles, medieval ruins and a Viking settlement. If you prefer to hit the waves, there’s no better place for the surf than the “cold paradise” of Bundoran, which boasts the ideal breaks, peaks and waves.

If you want to get your hands dirty, why not try a WWOOFing holiday, where you taste a dose of farm-life by living and working on the land. Or you can spend a day behind the scenes in Seal Rescue Ireland in Courtown, County Wexford, where you will get to know the seals, learn how to prepare food and feed them, and get hands-on experience of caring for the centre’s orphaned, sick and injured animals.

After a busy day of sustainable adventures, you’ll need a good meal. Strawberry Tree in County Wicklow emphasises the “slow food” ethos, promoting sustainably sourced, local produce.The ever-changing menu reflects the seasons and is Organically Certified, meaning it contains natural ingredients, and promotes healthy soil, landscape and habitats.

Has anyone in our Community suggestions for more sustainable activities in Ireland?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/23-10-2019/cc267347-50be-4153-b7b0-7afb.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 7 Jul 2022 11:17 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (57 reputation)Industry Member (57 reputation)Industry Member (57 reputation)Industry Member (57 reputation)Industry Member (57 reputation)Industry Member (57 reputation)Industry Member (57 reputation)Industry Member (57 reputation)Industry Member (57 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 8
Tyrone and Derry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 7 Feb 2023 12:55 PM Visits: 2.8K
Sustainably explore the Ritual Landscapes of West Tyrone with foyletrails.com
Discover how this region`s many bronze and iron age sites and the stories associated with them have survived into the 21st century. Explore West Tyrone`s ancient bog and woodland habitats and discover the folklore that surrounds them on sustainable day tours where ecology, archaeology and mythology are combined.
Attachments
G. Ram profile edited.JPG (320 views, 2.00 MB)