Kavanagh

Kavanagh

Author
Posted Wed 23 Oct 2019 5:46 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I have tried for very many years to find my great grandfather Thomas Kavanagh but all I have is his marriage certificate and NOTHING else at all.
From his age on the certificate it would appear he was born in or around 1897 but I have no idea where.
I have all of his wife's information so not looking to find anything  about her. her name was Margaret McCoy and they were married in Co Durham in 1894.
They had two children, the surviving child was my grandmother Catherine Bridget Kavanagh born 1896 in Gateshead Co Durham. The second child died in 1900. 
I have tried DNA but no luck there. 
My question is do I have any chance of finding any information on his or should I give up?  

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 23 Oct 2019 8:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 13 hours ago Visits: 76.1K
Hello E K.

It's great that you are trying to find more information about your great grandfather. The marriage certificate you already have will surely help!

Since your search is from quite recent history (after 1864), the General Records Office (GRO) would be a good place to start. You can also try to cross the data you have with the Civil and Church records from the Irish Genealogy website.

Since your great grandfather got married in 1894, his birthdate would be long before 1897?

Wishing you the best of luck!

Antoine
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 23 Oct 2019 9:10 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thanks for the reply. 
The marriage cert is of no help at all.
 Have tried the RGO and again of no help. 
Have also read priest's records for the marriage but he gave no information so of no use again.  
Estimated birth date should have read 1867, not 1897 sorry.
The name Kavanagh, spelt any way, is very common in Ireland so it is a minefield and has lead no where at all.
 I have no idea where or when he was born, 1867 is a guess only. 
All I know is his father's name was John which again does not help.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 24 Oct 2019 9:15 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Check out the database of RootsIreland at http://www.rootsireland.ie as it records the birth entries of 14 Thomas Kavanagh/Cavanaghs with a father called John between 1864 and 1870.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 24 Oct 2019 9:25 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
It can be very tricky searching for family history without real dates and locations as you have indeed found out!

Many thanks as always to Brian for his information, this may well be your best avenue at this stage.

Hopefully, you will be able to pursue this line of inquiry and it does indeed lead to your great grandfather Thomas Kavanagh, or at least rule a few people out.

Please keep us informed on any progress, have you tried any more records in County Durham, he may well have been born there?
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 24 Oct 2019 9:49 AM
View Quick Profile
Many thanks for the replies. Brian I will try that.  Martin I have looked at all of them in Durham and no luck but if I find anything I will let you all know. Thank you.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 25 Oct 2019 8:53 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Please do keep us informed of any progress, as also mentioned by Antoine, the records after 1864 would be held at the GRO, so still worth a look there too!

If you want to post a photo of the marriage certificate, please feel free.