Dead ends on the Mclouglins (McGloughlins) from Ballivor Meath

Dead ends on the Mclouglins (McGloughlins) from Ballivor Meath

Author
Posted Wed 30 Oct 2019 3:35 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi, I am stuck on my research for my grandfather Patrick Mcloughlin, born on September 18th 1886 in Ballivor, Meath.
He came to England before 1917, as he married my grandmother that year, on his wedding certificate he states he was 29, which would make his birth year 1888 but I believe this was written because my grandmother was 32 and he wanted it to appear as less of a difference.
On all UK census documents, his birthday is stated as September 18th 1886. 
One birth registration I have found (attached) with the correct father's name, John, gives the birth as registered in Trim but the dates are later in September. How feasible is it that this is my grandfather? What other roads could I take as I am really at a dead-end.
I have also asked the Civil Registration Service who have had little luck. 
Thank you in anticipation for your help.
Josie
Attachments
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 31 Oct 2019 9:15 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hello Josie,

It seems like you've already done a great deal of research around your ancestors!

First of all, I'd like to invite you to review this handy thread about tracing your Irish ancestors, to make sure that you've followed all the suggested steps and that you didn't miss any important details.

I also noticed a fun detail in the document you attached: in the certificate, Patrick McGloughlin is listed as the number 18, although the date is written "1886 Twenty-eighth". It looks like this could have possibly been the cause of the confusion around his birth date.
Have you already thought about this possibility?

We have some fantastic genealogy experts that might be able to help you further.

I cannot wait to hear what will be your next findings!

Elodie
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 31 Oct 2019 5:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 26 Jul 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 193
Hi Josie, from the information you have shown us, I would think that you have found your grandfather's birth record as the date of birth is so close to the date he marked his birthday and it is in the right area with the correct father's name. Sometimes people fibbed about the actual date of birth when it came to registering the birth to avoid a fine for late registration and it is a few weeks before his mother registered his birth which might explain the change in dates. However I had a quick look on www.rootsireland.ie which holds a transcription of his baptismal record - he was baptised on 28 September 1886 and as Roman Catholic baptisms tended to happen on the day of or day after birth, this would suggest that the 28th September 1886 may have been his actual date of birth. 

What is the earliest record in England you find him in? Is it his marriage record? If so, you could examine the 1901 and 1911 census returns in Ireland looking for him and his family - www.census.nationalarchives.ie. Searching www.rootsireland.ie will also provide details on the baptisms of his siblings. 

All the best with your search,

Gillian

Gillian Hunt
Research Officer
Ulster Historical Foundation