I'm visiting in autumn and I've been told to buy an Aran jumper? Why is that?

I'm visiting in autumn and I've been told to buy an Aran jumper? Why...

Author
Posted Thu 31 Oct 2019 9:57 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Simply put, Aran jumpers are iconic. It isn’t just the unique design that makes them so popular, it’s their warmth, comfort and sense of home that has resonated with people for more than 100 years.

These cosy jumpers have humble beginnings and originate, as the name would suggest, on the Aran Islands, just off the coast of County Galway. They were initially worn by fishermen on the island and became a staple of the families that resided there. As a key figure in the Irish Literary Revival, J M Synge said: “The simplicity and unity of the dress increases in another way the local air of beauty.”

It was this literary revival that first sparked more widespread interest in the jumpers. In the early 20th century, many came to Inis Meáin in search of authentic Irish folk traditions, and the upswing in visitors lead to an appreciation of the islanders’ unique style.

Traditionally, the jumpers were made from a yarn derived from sheep’s wool called báinín. They were originally made unwashed and contained the sheep’s natural lanolin, making the jumpers water-resistant. The original Aran jumpers were rough, oily to the touch, off-white in appearance and retained the odour of the sheep. The modern jumpers are fully scoured, washed and refined, making them softer and whiter, though they don’t have the same waterproofing qualities of the original.

The Aran jumper’s popularity surged when folk music group, The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, wore them as their trademark attire. When they appeared on the Ed Sullivan show in a special performance for US President John F Kennedy, the demand for the jumpers rose even more. They are now one of the most successful craft industries in the world.

You can tell a quality Aran jumper by three things – colour, feel and finish. The colour should be creamy off-white. The feel should be a bit rough, but not scratchy with tightly twisted yarn. A good button is the sign of a good finish – they should be made of natural horn, wood or leather.

Do any of our Community members own an Aran jumper? 

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/31-10-2019/700159a0-1d39-47c4-8807-2e00.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 5 Nov 2019 10:41 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
I must say, I can never resist a nice wooly jumper, poncho, or even hairband, but I am more of a Donegal jumper lover!

We have a tradition with my husband, every year for my birthday we go up to Glencolmcille to the woolen mill.
Not only you have fantastic goods, but the location is also stunning, lost in the middle of the wild.

After that, we usually stop by the Folk Village Museum for a cup of tea and something to bite before heading to the beach. The wee one loves the play area there too.

I do knit a bit as well but never got to try the Donegal or Aran pattern. Did anyone try and have some advice to share with me?

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 15 Nov 2019 3:11 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 21
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 6 Mar 2024 1:16 PM Visits: 9.4K
Aran Jumpers are amazing and it's one of the cool things that you can buy in Ireland that will keep you warm while you remember your time on our island. So you got 2 things in one! 🐑 🐑 🐑   

They are handmade and that's what makes them special. You can be sure to carry always a little peace of Ireland with you. The traditional colour is a creamy off-white, but with dyed wool more commonly used, all sorts of colours are available now and you can choose the colour which you like most.

There are stores all over Ireland selling the Aran Jumper and I always think it's special when I buy something from a Family run store. The high quality is another thing that I always consider because I really like long-lasting products. I would personally advise you to get your Jumper from Doolin (the women in the store is super nice) or from the Aran Islands as this is - so far - my favourite Island in Ireland. 

But wherever on our beautiful Island you do get this unique Jumper, you'll have something that you'll love! I am pretty sure about that. 

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 18 Nov 2019 10:53 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
Aren't pre-travel travel plans great...  they really help you learn more about the place you are visiting and get yourself in holiday mode! So, why should you buy an Aran sweater.  Well, it's more like why not really!  

What I love about the Aran is that it is so undeniably Irish, so fantastically functional and yet so stylishly cool.  Sure, you have the the original traditional styles in off-cream, heavy chunky knits, but the wonderful thing is how the style has evolved over the decades - a bit like the Irish themselves ;) 

Take a look at the amazing options now available on Inis Meain Knitwearhttps://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/18-11-2019/424acaec-d872-4517-8ba6-6f49.png

And of course, the Aran look was never more elegantly displayed than at a Garrihy family wedding recently - Eugene's daughter Ailbhe was married here in Doolin and her bridesmaids were beautifully styled in cashmere "Aran" tops designed by Doolin business, Ekotree Knitwear
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/18-11-2019/335965ee-6b6c-41e6-8868-562a.png

Ellie, Elodie and Zoey have given some fantastic information on the history of the Aran sweater - I especially like Zoey's advice to buy one in Doolin or on the Aran Islands, we would have to agree with you there Zoey, not that we would have any vested interest in the locations you understand...

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 19 Nov 2019 9:42 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
I just love those bridesmaids' dress/jumper! 😍

I am to be a bridesmaid in April for my best friend wedding, I need to show her this and get her to change our dresses plans! 🤣
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 19 Nov 2019 10:23 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
Hi Elodie,
They were absolutely stunning (skirt and top, same as the gorgeous bride herself)  I must tell Ailbhe, she'll be delighted ;)

All the best, Joan

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 29 Nov 2019 9:11 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
I truly do agree with whoever said to pick up an Aran jumper, it's such a wonderful way to capture the spirit of Ireland. I have a Galway jumper or two myself, and it truly does make the Autumn feel complete. There's something very special about a piece of clothing that's been knitted by hand, which you just can't find in a normal shop. The care and attention to detail make it a work of art in itself, one that serves a very practical purpose when the days start to turn cool.

If I had to put to words that makes these jumpers so special to me, it'd have to be the respect for tradition and history. Ireland is full of rich history and warm people, and what better way to remember that than with a handmade, cozy sweater to wrap up in?

Seeing those gorgeous bridesmaids dresses makes me love them even more. I would never have thought to wear one at a wedding, but now I'm obsessed with the idea!