This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Driving trip in Ireland in July

Driving trip in Ireland in July

Author
Respected User
Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)
Singapore
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 21 Jun 2016 8:50 AM Visits: 68
Hi,

My friend and I, together with our wife plan to have a driving trip in Ireland this coming July. We will fly from Singapore on 7/July, reaching Dublin the same day, and fly out from Dublin on 17/July.

As this is our first trip to Ireland, we do not know what to expect. Our aim is mainly on Nature, history and culture.

Any suggest of the route we should go? Which city and how many days we should spend on each place?

If we plan to stay in B&B throughout, do we need to do any pre-booking? I understand July considered high season in Ireland, any problem to get accommodation if we do not want to do any pre-booking? We prefer to travel more relax and freely, at the same time, worry that we may not be able to get any accommodation.

Posted Wed 1 Jun 2016 9:55 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (22.6K reputation)Industry Member (22.6K reputation)Industry Member (22.6K reputation)Industry Member (22.6K reputation)Industry Member (22.6K reputation)Industry Member (22.6K reputation)Industry Member (22.6K reputation)Industry Member (22.6K reputation)Industry Member (22.6K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Mon 25 Mar 2019 12:14 PM Visits: 444
Hi Tan,
Your trip sounds wonderful - July is a great time to visit Ireland.

We are B&B Ireland - we have over 800 B&Bs located throughout the country.
B&Bs offer you the opportunity of staying in an Irish family home. The B&Bs are all independently owned and reflect a charming diversity of style and character where quality and service are paramount.
Here is a link to our B&B locator which is presented in map format. This might make it easier for you to plan your route. http://www.bandbireland.com/bandb-locator
We would advise that you pre-book your accommodation, July is peak season in Ireland.
You can pre-book your B&Bs through our website. http://www.bandbireland.com
Karen - B&B Ireland

Posted Wed 1 Jun 2016 10:46 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 31 Oct 2016 8:59 PM Visits: 722
Hi Tan!

There are lots of fantastic routes to choose from; it really depends on which part of Ireland you would like to experience and what sort of things you and your group would like to see and do while you're here! :)

As you mentioned you're interested in history and culture, I would recommend Ireland's Ancient East. The region starts in Cavan/ Monaghan and goes down to the very south in Waterford and East Cork. Here you will come across mysterious passage tombs that are older than the pyramids,enchanting castles, magnificent stately homes, intriguing monastic sites and ruins, and historical cities that will invite you to explore more of our country's epic Viking connections. Imagine all of this while surrounded by breathtaking scenery (which we have no shortage of here in Ireland! ;)) and you have the perfect place for a great Irish adventure! There are some great sample itineraries for the Ancient East here on Ireland.com, so these might give you some ideas of which route to take.

You might also like to check out these two other threads as they include some great suggestions of other routes that you could follow while ony our travels around the Emerald isle:

Trip Suggestions & Tips
“Not-To-Be-Missed” Sights

In terms of accommodation, personally, I would pre-book where at all possible, even if it is only a day in advance. I like to have the peace of mind knowing that I will have somewhere comfortable to rest my head after a busy day of exploring and sight-seeing. But if you prefer to find accommodation as you travel, my one tip would be to stay away from the very busy spots, choosing smaller towns and villages where it is likely to be quieter. You can find details of lots of fantastic B&Bs all over the island of Ireland by taking a look at Ireland.com's accommodation section.

I hopes this gives you some inspiration for your trip! If you need any more suggestions, please just let me know! :)
Posted Wed 1 Jun 2016 12:30 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13.4K reputation)Supreme Being (13.4K reputation)Supreme Being (13.4K reputation)Supreme Being (13.4K reputation)Supreme Being (13.4K reputation)Supreme Being (13.4K reputation)Supreme Being (13.4K reputation)Supreme Being (13.4K reputation)Supreme Being (13.4K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 29 Jun 2016 11:27 AM Visits: 295
You already got some excellent suggestions from Louise and Karen, Tan!

Ireland is packed with amazing sites, and I love travelling all around, but the Antrim coast definitely has a special place in my heart. Belfast is just 2 hours north of Dublin, and this fun city is the starting point of the epic Causeway Coastal Route. I’ve driven this route many times, I just can’t get enough of it. ;)

Driving the Causeway Coastal Route is a lot of fun, as you’ll be treated to many different landscapes along the way – heather-clad fields, valleys, rocky shores, sandy beaches… there’s basically a surprise around each bend. ;)

There’s a lot of history to be found too, such as the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, Dunluce Castle and quaint coastal towns such as Glenarm and Cushendun.

A trip to Northern Ireland wouldn't be complete without spending some time at the Giant’s Causeway, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. There’s something magical about these oddly shaped basalt blocks… :w00t:

You could have a look at this sample itinerary, should you decide to discover this part of the island. :D

I hope this helps!

Posted Wed 1 Jun 2016 3:23 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Respected User
Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)
Singapore
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 21 Jun 2016 8:50 AM Visits: 68
Wow! Guys, thanks. I think the information all of you provide definitely good reference for us to do our planning.

One more question: How's the weather there in July?
Posted Thu 2 Jun 2016 8:32 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (945 reputation)
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Fri 3 Feb 2017 10:54 AM Visits: 4
Hi Tan, If you planning on visiting the north coast we would love to welcome you to the Roe Park Resort, we are 4 star golf and spa resort located close by to these major tourist attractions. Weather is July is generally warm and dry but can be unpredictable at times. We are experiencing beautiful warm weather at the moment. 

www.RoeParkResort.com
Posted Thu 2 Jun 2016 10:57 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (1.5K reputation)Industry Member (1.5K reputation)Industry Member (1.5K reputation)Industry Member (1.5K reputation)Industry Member (1.5K reputation)Industry Member (1.5K reputation)Industry Member (1.5K reputation)Industry Member (1.5K reputation)Industry Member (1.5K reputation)
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Fri 19 May 2017 11:17 AM Visits: 9
You'll be here for the Foyle Maritime Festival which runs from 9th to 17th July.  We will be welcoming the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race during the festival.  Great atmosphere in the city with lots to explore!  

Posted Thu 2 Jun 2016 11:09 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (1.4K reputation)Industry Member (1.4K reputation)Industry Member (1.4K reputation)Industry Member (1.4K reputation)Industry Member (1.4K reputation)Industry Member (1.4K reputation)Industry Member (1.4K reputation)Industry Member (1.4K reputation)Industry Member (1.4K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 14 Sep 2016 1:08 PM Visits: 15
Hi Tan,
Dundalk is only one hour north of Dublin and is easier to get accommodation than Dublin.
Dundalk Stadium has a big summer racing fixture on Tuesday 12th July that historically is a big day for the area.
There is horse racing in the afternoon and greyhound racing in the evening with a big Ladies Day Competition which is a great spectacle.
http://www.dundalkstadium.com
There are lots of things to do in the area, beautiful scenery; Carlingford Lough, small villages such as Blackrock and Annagassan both on the coast etc.
As mentioned in other posts if you are going to The Giant's Causeway Dundalk is half way from Dublin to Belfast so it would be a nice stop off point.
I hope this helps.
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Thu 2 Jun 2016 11:11 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (389 reputation)Industry Member (389 reputation)Industry Member (389 reputation)Industry Member (389 reputation)Industry Member (389 reputation)Industry Member (389 reputation)Industry Member (389 reputation)Industry Member (389 reputation)Industry Member (389 reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 2 Jun 2016 11:14 AM Visits: 7
Hello Tan
There is plenty to do and see in July in Ireland and possible the best way to do that is to hire a Car and travel the roads and talk to the people. Co Clare has some beautiful landmarks, The cliffs of Moher etc.and the Aran islands are a must for tradition and culture and very much nature. I have a Self catering house if that would suit your needs at kilshannybungalow.com   
Hope you have an enjoyable trip and we continue to receive this lovely sunny weather

Sheila
Posted Thu 2 Jun 2016 11:16 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 31 Oct 2016 8:59 PM Visits: 722
    Regarding the weather, I have to agree with Sinead; our summer is usually mild but warm and in July, average highs are between a comfortable 18 and 20°C. However, our weather is pretty unpredictable and you can go from enjoying hot sunshine to experiencing a refreshing rain shower within just a few minutes!

If you're wondering what to pack, I suggest that you bring layers so you're not too hot or too cold, and a waterproof jacket to protect you from the rain. I like to stay optimistic when it comes to the weather, so I advise that you bring a pair of sunglasses too! :cool:

Tan, you can find out more information about our weather and how to pack accordingly by checking out our Ireland Travel Check-list and some of these other threads on our forum:

Summer Season in Ireland
    What to wear in July?
    Irishweather

I hope this helps! :)

Posted Thu 2 Jun 2016 11:20 AM
Question