New Year Eve

New Year Eve

Author
Posted Thu 21 Nov 2019 10:33 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Kehoe's don't have music and def not on NYE 
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 21 Nov 2019 10:34 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Cassidy's is a great suggestion from Christoph and is close enough to Bride Street. Live trad music and full of locals. Get there early!  
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 21 Nov 2019 10:37 AM
View Quick Profile
Cork is absolutely fab and actually a few degrees warmer (it's in the 'sunny south east'!) Kinsale is always fantastic, great night life and restaurants, walks and relaxation. Well worth a visit. 
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 21 Nov 2019 2:06 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 21 Nov 2019 3:42 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
If you can squeeze it in Lesley you should not let Cork slip you by it is an excellent place to explore.
We actually have a superb itinerary for the area that will highlight some of the reasons for going.
You can find the itinerary here.

The Cliffs of Moher may be a bit chillier but with the crisp winter skies come some fantastic views. Wrap up well to cater for the sea breeze, but regardless of temperatures, your pictures will be stunning.

Finally, if you are heading up to the causeway, there are loads of great spots worth checking out along that coast.
Here is another trip idea for that area. My personal favourite from this list is Dunluce Castle. A fantastic example of Norman Ireland.
Causeway Coast tour

Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful time and if you need any more suggestions, I am always willing.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 17 Dec 2019 8:56 AM
View Quick Profile
Trying to book to go to Cork, any tips - only got 6 hours there.
New Year going with Dee's Idea
Just looked at the route and the pub we pass on the way to Walsh's in Stoneybatter  - 
The Lord Edward
Ireland’s Oldest Pub The Brazen Head (We have been to this one)
O'Sheas Merchant & Ned O' Sheas
Pifko Bar
Dice Bar
Token
Ending up at Walsh's in Stoneybatter
Info on which pubs are good or not please.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 17 Dec 2019 11:00 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Lesley! Great to hear you've a plan for NYE in Dublin!

Even better to hear you're coming to Cork!! I'm from Cork so I'm a particularly biased towards the city. 
So things to do:
 The English Market: sit upstairs in the farmgate for a coffee and great views for people watching!
 - Finbarr's Cathedral (French Gothic), built by an architect who went way over budget but built the main landmark of Cork! 
-Crawford Art Gallery: the Crawford is the old custom house so from a historical perspective, it’s a symbol of maritime Cork. Inthe gallery, you can see a painting which shows the days when boats used to dock at the entrance of the custom house (now the gallery!) There are some really famous names in Irish art dotted around the building- Louis le Brocquy’sportraits, Jack B Yeats Dublin scenes, Harry Clarke’s stained glass- among others. 
-Tradtional music pubs- Sin E and Spailpin Fanach
Landmark cork pubs- High B (sitting room vibes and no phones allowed) and Long Valley
-Restaurants: Elbow Lane for Steak/ Alis Kitchen for brunch!
Hope that helps! Let me know if you need any further recommendations!!
Dee, Specialized Travel Services
https://www.special-ireland.com/

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 17 Dec 2019 11:09 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Lesley, 

It's great that you're going with Dee's idea! It's a wonderful suggestion. :) I'm also happy that you'll have some time in Cork, and you can find some of the most popular attractions there on this page. My own personal favourite is the English Market, full of local produce and tasty dishes. It's the perfect stop for a treat! 

Are you thinking of visiting all of these pubs on the same night, or are they some of the ones that you're thinking of visiting as well? I am a fan of O'Shea's (the owner is so nice!), and the Brazen Head, but not too familiar with the others. From what I have found, Pifko, Dice Bar and Token all are open during New Year's Eve. Pifko has some great reviews, the Dice Bar has more of a club setting, and Token is a retro arcade. :)  

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know. I'm always happy to help! 
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 21 Dec 2019 8:21 AM
View Quick Profile
Yes all on the same night  calling in each one pub on the way to Walsh's in Stoneybatter. We are getting the trian into Cork on 2nd Jan . I have seen picture of multi-colored houses and harbor where about is that in Cork ? I don't think the English Market will be open . This may sound silly tractional music pubs are they different to the Dublin ? 
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 21 Dec 2019 4:00 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Lesley,

It's such a joy to hear how your trip is coming together! As others have said, and I'd certainly agree, Cork is a wonderful spot to add to your itinerary and there's so much to see. 

The colourful houses are actually a part of Cobh, which is just a bit of a drive from Cork City. It's called Bandon Hill, or the Deck of Cards, and it's quite a sight in person (http://bit.ly/2MeRZWU). Indeed, you can see the harbor from these houses, and can even get quite the view of  St Colman's Cathedral. 

As for the English Market, their hours do show them as open between 8a - 6p Monday through Saturday, though last year they were closed January 1st. What I'd recommend is contacting them directly, just to make sure that they're open when you and your husband stop by the city (http://bit.ly/2QbVxdN).

Lastly, that's not a silly question at all! Ireland has a rich and deep culture, and different counties or cities may have their own unique rhythm, sound, and song. The music in Cork has a beat all its own and this article touches a bit on how unique it can be (http://bit.ly/2SdPQi4). There are certain pubs in Cork which feature broader music, as well as those which are quite regional. For a good taste of Cork music, though, I'd recommend Sin é, which is a wonderful little pub in Cork with a sound all its own.

I do hope that this helps!

~Rochelle