John Finan circa 1811

John Finan circa 1811

Author
Posted Sat 23 Nov 2019 10:38 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hoping to find any further information about John Finan. Specifics can be found on Faye's genealogy website https://faysgenealogy.com/getperson.php?personID=I33299&tree=BenJohn 
He is my 3x great grandfather and was an early settler of lower Canada in early 1850. The family thinks his father was Patrick or Peter Finan who's wife was Rebecca. We do not know Rebecca's maiden name. We think Patrick or Peter Finan died around 1816 in Ireland and that Rebecca took her son John to northern Ireland and raised him as Anglican. He was christened a Catholic when he was born. I would be grateful if anyone has information to share!  Thanks! 🙂
Hi Melin,
Thank you very much for the information. I have found a few sites but found them a bit difficult to navigate. I will try your suggestions!
Thanks again! 😊
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 24 Nov 2019 2:41 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Jen, 

Thanks so much for reaching out here! It looks like you've already found out a great deal about your ancestry, and I'd love to see what I can do to point you in the right direction. 

Before 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records; while some of these have regrettably been lost over the years, all the surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres. Have you by any chance been in touch with the centres in Cork yet? They might be able to tell you more. 

You can also search through the available online records, and I personally always like to use the Irish Genealogy page. :) I hope some of our members who are experts in genealogy will be able to provide you with more helpful tips and information.