Favorite Irish Road Trips

Favorite Irish Road Trips

Author
Posted Tue 26 Nov 2019 8:41 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 18
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 26 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 60
While I definitely prefer to explore Ireland by train, that necessarily limits the trip to bigger towns and cities. Sometimes hiring a car is the way to go. You have more flexibility and can explore all of Ireland's nooks and crannies. Here are some of my favorite Irish road trips with teasers about why I think these routes are fab.

Dublin to Kinsale. Make sure to stop at the J.F. Kennedy Homestead. Did you know that Greenland white-fronted geese overwinter at the Wexford Wildfowl Reserve. It's quite the spectacle!
Dublin to Waterford and Wexford for a weekend. Stand in awe of the crashing waves at Hook Lighthouse.
Dublin to Sligo. Embrace the poetry of W.B. Yeats and stop at the Lake Isle of Innisfree.
Dublin to Dingle. Getting there (and back) is more than half the fun. Stop in to see the Flying Boat Museum in Foynes, a jealous wall in Mullingar, and the 19th century record holder for world's largest telescope at Birr Castle.
Galway to Connemara. Watch a horse race that can only take place at low tide on Omey Island.
Dublin to County Clare. See puffins from land seasonally at the Cliffs of Moher.

Have you tried any of these drives?
Where should we go on our next road trip?

Cheers,
Jennifer (aka Dr. J)
Sidewalk Safari

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 27 Nov 2019 10:22 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 4 hours ago Visits: 13.3K
Many thanks for such a detailed list of your different trips on the island of Ireland!

Dublin is often the base for people to visit different areas and there is plenty to see and do as you drive, take the bus or even the train to the main cities and beyond.

Have you ever take the drive/journey from Dublin to Belfast or Derry~Londonderry? They would be ones we would recommend too.

Thanks again for this and your other threads, we look forward to many more!

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 27 Nov 2019 9:13 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)
Ireland
I've taken the train to Belfast and I've flown to Derry/Londonderry from Dublin (I believe the flight we took is no longer running though). I think if we go back again, we'll drive this time.

Jennifer
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 29 Nov 2019 10:57 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Jennifer, 

It's definitely worth it to take the scenic route along the Causeway Coast to Derry-Londonderry! :) Have you seen this part of the island yet? It's one of my favourite places to go, as there is a new fantastic view around every bend. 

I don't think there are direct flights between Dublin and Derry-Londonderry anymore at the moment, but that must've been a super quick trip! 
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 1 Dec 2019 2:26 AM
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Ireland
I agree! We visited the Giant's Causeway and Antrim Coast as a day trip from Derry/Londonderry. The scenery is amazing. 
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 1 Dec 2019 7:32 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
I'm so happy you've visited the Giant's Causeway as well as parts of the Antrim Coast! :)