Pet Birds and parrots

Pet Birds and parrots

Author
Posted Fri 29 Nov 2019 1:51 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi
New to site I cannot find any info on parrots and travel and hope someone on the forum can enlighten me. Basically I have the use of a place in Southern Ireland (love the place and people) and travel over by ferry from the north east of England . At present I travel with my two dogs (also have to take the wife but we cannot have it all lol) I have in the past had a pet parrot and am thinking of getting another but cannot find any information on traveling with a pet parrot before or after Brexit. Don't want to get one then find I need to arrange care whenever I decide to pop over for some R&R. Anyone know the rules for pet parrots into and out of IE from the UK ?
If you can help Cheers if not no problem, I am going to explore the rest of the site and hopefully participate with a few things.
Shaun

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 29 Nov 2019 4:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Shaun! 

It's wonderful that you are thinking of bringing your parrot with you to the Emerald Isle. I've had a look, and I've found that you are able to bring a pet bird with you providing it meets certain requirements. There is a super helpful page that lists all of the requirements for travel for EU and non-EU countries. You can find the official Department of Food and Agriculture page here. Another handy resource is the Citizens Information page. 

I hope this was helpful, and you can always reach out to these two organisations if you have any additional questions. 

The Community is filled with helpful threads and recommendations from other visitors, and hopefully you've found more information and inspiration on the page. 

Are you thinking of travelling to the southern part of the island again, or are there other areas you'd like to explore as well?

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 29 Nov 2019 7:29 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thanks for the information I had seen the page but did not notice that the list of birds are the ones NOT allowed as pets. I assumed wrongly it was a list of what was allowed so with no parrot I thought I would have problems.
Thanks for the help and the bird I will be getting will fit in well as it is the correct colours for Southern Island as he will be a black headed Caique (google for Colours). At present my visits are confined to County Donegal and consist of finding new beaches to walk the dogs (I do pick up after them), boat fishing and supporting some of the local establishments on an evening.
Thanks
Shaun

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 1 Dec 2019 9:18 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Shaun, 

I'm glad that some of the information came in handy! The black-headed Caique's colours definitely will fit right in here. :)

It's great that you explore the beaches of Donegal with your dogs as well. You can find more inspiration in this thread about pet-friendly beaches

Feel free to add your own recommendations as well, and I'm always here if you have any questions! 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 3 Dec 2019 12:03 PM
View Quick Profile
Cheers for that I shall keep returning to site and pick up ideas and tips for my travels . If I can I will join in discussions and post answers and help where I can.
Shaun

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 4 Dec 2019 10:13 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Cheers, Shaun!
Don't hesitate to share pictures too; I always feel that it helps with a recommendation. 😉

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/04-12-2019/6346ef5c-3d5b-4b45-a940-af0b.gif