Rare name "Auchinleck"

Rare name "Auchinleck"

Author
Posted Tue 3 Dec 2019 2:00 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0

Found this book thrown away in a free box at an OP Shop ( Charity/ Thrift shop).Photo was kindly put up the right way by Elodie.
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/03-12-2019/bcf129da-f847-4951-b6ad-a6c9.jpg
Looks to be a bit shabby on the outside and one page inside has a few names written in Ink relating to a Poem and NZ WW2.
"For The Honor of the QUEEN" 
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/03-12-2019/0d8c912a-8cd6-41bc-a396-e292.jpg

Doesn't look anything special If you noticed the cover is Honor and inside is Honour.
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/03-12-2019/7b405238-d834-4deb-bbed-7156.jpg
Printed in Dublin in 1900 and I found it in Christchurch NZ in approximately 2016 some 116 years later. 
How it came here no one knows.
Sydney Elizabeth Auchinleck born at 35 York Street Dublin April 18 1884 Died 1970.
TDC's first female Chemistry graduate.
An extraordinary life.The daughter of Dr Hugh Auchinleck (FRCS(I)). 
At the age of 16 her talent showed publishing the above book of Poetry. Her poem of the same title was set to music and played by military bands.
She was unable to study Engineering like she wanted as Trinity didn't admit women to Engineering School until 1972.

Became engaged to Dr Norman Jewell a graduate of Medical school who won the MC for his services during WW1.
Sydney took a teaching diploma which was awarded in 1910.

What makes this shabby looking book so special is this. 
"To dear Mr Auchinleck with the little author's love". autographed Sydney E Auchinleck 4th January 1901. 
Now a rare book in the UK .

AUCHINLECK name originates from Scotland.

Maybe this post is of interest to any living ancestors, historians or Dubliners.
From Shane Duffy.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 3 Dec 2019 9:58 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Shane,

What an interesting find, I love it! 😍
For sure, the writing makes this copy even more so unique. Do you think it could be given to her Father based on "Mr. Auchinleck" and the date?

I see you looked into the past of Sydney Elizabeth Auchinleck already. Her life is fascinating and also a reminder of how society evolved throughout the last 118 years.
It would be amazing to find the story being this book, and how did it make his way to New Zealand.

What about her poems, do you have any favorite ones?
Maybe we should start a new thread where everyone could share their favorite Poems from Irish authors! 

I went ahead and edited the up-side-down picture for you.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 3 Dec 2019 10:27 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 26 Jul 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 193
This is a fantastic find Shane! I love searching charity shops never knowing what I might find! Sydney sounds like an amazing person, thank you for sharing this with us.  
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 3 Dec 2019 11:11 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Elodie I do have one particular poem by Sydney E Auchinleck  " In Memory"
VERSE 1 
Rest gently ,heroes, in your far - off graves,
Where savage foes are powerless to molest
Nor heed the sobs which echo after the waves
Torn from Britannia's aching breast....

Yes she autographed the book for her father Mr Auchinleck.

I have no idea what so ever how the book ended up in Christchurch NZ since she gave it to her father, Searching anywhere if he might have come to NZ himself. Unless the book was also discarded and someone found it ina charity or book shop and brought it home to NZ. Just a couple of ideas.

Thank you for editing the photos I have no idea how do that here, 

The Ulster Historical Foundation 
Yes I am an avid rummager of charity shops. To be able to share this from NZ is so amazing.

I hope you all read the other Post " A Shakespeare's Birthday book 1880..about the owner Dr Thomas Leslie Crooke.
This was I found and rescued before  it was destined for landfill or worse burnt. Fate stepped in here. 

Thank you to all 
Shane Duffy

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 4 Dec 2019 12:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Nice one, Shane!
Please make sure to let us know if you unveil anymore of this mystery.

As you seem to love Irish Literature, would you like to create a thread with your favorite book/poem...?
This could be a start for our community to share their recommendations on books to read.
For example, I never heard of Sydney Elizabeth Auchinleck until you posted here, and I am sure many other members will love discovering her and other Irish writers.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 5 Dec 2019 1:09 AM
View Quick Profile
Elodie

Yes I like the idea about Irish Writers/ Poets. Being a few hours ahead here in time zones I really want to post an Autograph first from The Shakespeare's Birthday Book.
Am feeling so privileged  owning this book and keeper of Dr Thomas Leslie Crooke his life and stories who once owned it.
I will make post using the autograph first of whom I consider another great Irish woman.
This will be ahead of time so will appear before her actual birthday. She will also be included in writers and poets.
Look for the autograph post
From Shane Duffy

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 29 Feb 2020 6:34 AM
View Quick Profile
This is very interesting

My great great grandfather was Charles Frederick Phillips, 

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/29-02-2020/989d9346-2fe2-43e0-8deb-97d0.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 29 Feb 2020 11:24 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Lloyd, 

That is very interesting indeed! :) 

Have you done a lot of research into your Great Great Grandfather Charles Frederick Phillips? 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 5 Jun 2020 3:03 PM
View Quick Profile
Information for Shane Duffy.I was very interested to see your post about Sydney Auchinleck and her book of poems “In Honour of the Queen”. A correspondent researching autographs in an old autograph book found a poem on “Friendship” signed by Sydney and was researching who the author was. It was she who has pointed out your message on this site !! Amazing.I wanted to let you know that Sydney ELizabeth Auchinleck was my Grandmother, so especially fascinating that a copy of her book was found in New Zealand....so far away from Ireland. Thank you for mentioning your find, it is thrilling. She published a second book of poems called “Michelangelo”, impossible to find a copy but there is one in a family archive somewhere.We published a book in 2016, it is based on my Grandfather’s war diaries as a doctor in the Seychelles and Kenya, East Africa during WW1.It is in 3 parts, Part 1 are his handwritten diaries transcribed. Part 2 is verification of all the battles and places he fought in by a WW1 historian Anne Samson. Part 3 is the story of his wife Sydney Auchinleck (by me) with photos of her and their family, the book is called “On Call in AFrica in War and Peace 1910 to 1932 by Dr Norman Parsons Jewell (its available on a website: oncallinafrica.com, if further info on Sydney is of interest) Sydney started writing poetry at 14yrs old and your little book was published when she was 17yrs. Dr Hugh Auchinleck (her father) sent a copy to many folks, including Queen Victoria (we have a letter from her private secretary, saying the Queen had enjoyed reading the poems). Among recipients were Navy and Army personnel, maybe that is how it got over to NZ ?The Mr Auchinleck may be the Reverend Alexander Eccles Auchinleck with whom Dr Hugh Auchinleck corresponded and who lived in England (he officiated at Dr Hugh A’s marriage to Rhoda Johnson) It might be strange to write to your father as Mr Auchinleck ?? Sydney was a lovely person and extremely clever, TCD (Trinity College, Dublin) now has a post Grad Scholarship in Chemistry to commemorate her being the first woman to study Chemistry at the university.Thank you again for your info and for saving SEA’s little book, grand that you cared enough to do so. Regards Sandra Jewell
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 5 Jun 2020 7:34 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Sandra,

What an amazing way to solve this mystery! I'm absolutely blown away by how small the world is sometimes and I'm legitimately speechless at the connections that can be made in the most serendipitous of ways. I like to think that Ireland has branches all around the world and it seems that your grandmother's book has helped to bring people together, even when oceans apart.

I'm also so very glad that you shared so much about her incredible life! It certainly sounds like she was an incredible woman to be immensely proud of and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we'd love to hear more about her.

Do let us know if you have any other stories about her life that you'd like to share.

Kindly,

~Rochelle