Rare name "Auchinleck"

Rare name "Auchinleck"

Author
Posted Sat 6 Jun 2020 6:00 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello Rochelle,

Thank you for your kind words and yes, we are very proud of our grandmother. It’s been fascinating unveiling her story as she never mentioned her achievements, to us. As children we knew she could do the Times crossword in 20mins and made great scones and soda bread !
I would love to find the music written by Mr Charles Frederick Phillips and hear the song played, it was used for marching music I gather from my research. I wonder if there is an old musical score hidden away somewhere, perhaps in Lloyd’s family archives, that would be wonderful.

I would be pleased to share the poem “Friendship” which lead me to this site. I had not read it before and I think it is so true (she was 22 when she wrote it in the autograph book) I will make an image of it and upload it for those interested.

Kind regards
Sandra

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 6 Jun 2020 2:17 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hello Shane,

If you ever wanted to sell my grandmother’s book of poems we would be pleased to buy it. Could send you a copy of our book of which 3rd part is dedicated to Sydney and her family and postage for the book if you would like.

Best regards

Sandra

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 6 Jun 2020 3:00 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello Rochelle,

As promised an image of Sydney’s poem “Friendship”, found recently in an old autograph book and dated 1907 (while she was at TCD)
Also for Shane and Lloyd the Irish Figaro report on Sydney’s bool of poetry.

It would be interesting to know who Herbert Edward Littledale was (he owned the autograph book). From what I can find he was a Doctor trained in Dublin doing the rounds of the Rotunda and Sir Patrick Dun’s hospital where my Grandfather also worked post qualifying in medicine at TCD. From my little bit of research the Littledales were quite an extensive Irish family and Herbert was there still in 1907.
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/06-06-2020/e72f1439-cfd0-42c6-ba98-380.jpeg

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/06-06-2020/04b162cd-49cd-4f1c-950a-2e3.jpeg

Best regards

Sandie
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 6 Jun 2020 3:07 PM
View Quick Profile
A transcription of Sydney Auchinleck poem in case difficult to read.https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/06-06-2020/7bf7317a-563b-4188-8568-d64.jpeg
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 6 Jun 2020 6:33 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Sandra,

Thank you for stopping by again to share more about your incredible grandmother! Words can't express just how wonderful it is to be able to hear about her life directly from a close relative.

Personally, I have a ton of respect and admiration for writers. I feel that the ability to connect people through the written word is a gift that deserves to be valued and appreciated. Reading over the poem you shared, it's clear just how talented she was. The message of true friendship is absolutely timeless, isn't it? 

I also notice you mentioned that she made delicious soda bread and scones. I have quite a deep love for both, myself! Would you happen to have her recipes on hand, by any chance? 

~Rochelle
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 20 Jun 2020 8:22 AM
View Quick Profile
For Sandra Jewell. I was delighted to finally read your message and more when I read Sydney Elizabeth Auchinleck was your grandmother.
I had not too long ago sent photos of "For The Honor Of The Queen" to a Rare Book site in the UK. Even with what appears tattiness of the book they decided it was now  to be listed as a Rare Book having her autograph in.
I do feel the inscription inside is dedicated to her farther Hugh. Now 120 years ago since her book was published.
Even though copies were sent out to many people I can not find any so far that have her autograph in. 
What is more frustrating is not finding out how that book arrived in Christchurch New Zealand.
Haven't given much thought about selling the book but am considering this. I get excited when I find books with autographs in from long ago especially connected to Ireland. Currently my personal research studies from a Shakespeare's Birthday Book once owned by an Irish Surgeon/Dr/Musician Thomas Leslie Crooke 1861-1943  who arrived in NZ in 1899 and stayed permanently ( with some 800 others who left their autographs in this wee book has come to an abrupt halt and who was the Dr to my Irish great grant parents here in CHC NZ.
I fear no help is coming from New Zealand. 
Can be contacted at (EMAIL REMOVED) I do live in Christchurch NZ.
Kind regards Shane Duffy.
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 21 Jun 2020 7:43 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Shane,

So lovely to see you back!

Just to make sure your email is not visible for anyone to grab, I will remove it for now, but as soon as Sandra is back online here, we can make sure to share it with her.

I hope you are doing. It is always nice reading from you. 😊

Elodie