Birthday trip to Ireland

Birthday trip to Ireland

Author
Posted Fri 6 Dec 2019 11:35 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
HI
I'm giving my wife a surprise trip to Ireland but need some help on the route/places/timings etc so if you have any ideas to improve or change my ideas that would be fantastic.

fly into Knock/hire car
drive to Westport and stay  overnight...drive to Clifden via Leeane
Clifden..stay overnight/Rossadilik/ Cleggan/ Inishbofin..drive to
Cliffs of Mohen stay overnight drive to
Limerik then drive to
Killarney stay overnight then drive to
Cork stay overnight then drive to
Dublin stay overnight and leave via Dublin Airport.

Not sure about staying overnight in the right places re driving time etc

Thanks for any help

Alan

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 6 Dec 2019 3:34 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Alan, 

What a wonderful gift to bring your wife on a trip to Ireland for her birthday! :) I'm more than happy to provide you with tips and suggestions for your itinerary. 

What time will you be arriving at Knock Airport, and are you thinking of renting a car from there? The drive to Westport takes around an hour from the airport, so it's perfect for the first day. 

From Westport to Clifden via Leenane takes an hour and 15 minutes without stopping. Is there anything in this area you would like to see or do? 

After your night in Clifden, the drive to Rossadilik via Cleggan shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Are you thinking of visiting Inishbofin and then drive to the Cliffs of Moher to enjoy the view there, or is the trip to Inishbofin planned for the previous day? The drive from Rossadilik to the Cliffs of Moher should take around 3 hours and 15 minutes without stopping. 

The drive from there to Limerick is only an hour and a half, so you'll have loads of time to explore the city. Is there anything in particular in this area that you're interested in? 

The next day your trip to Killarney would take two hours, which leaves you with enough time to explore the National Park or even the Ring of Kerry. From there your trip to Cork shouldn't take more than an hour and a half. 

On your last day the drive from Cork to Dublin Airport is three hours without stopping, so you could do some sightseeing along the way. Since you'll be staying in Dublin overnight, there is enough time to relax before flying back home. 

I think you're taking enough time to explore, and your itinerary looks wonderful. If you need any tips for what to see along the way, just give me a shout! :)

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 8 Dec 2019 12:15 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi
thank you for the information.

My plan is to get the 07:00 flight from Liverpool landing in Knock at 09:00 and pick up a hire car and then driving to Westport for a look around and some lunch.
before leaving for Clifton and staying overnight. The next day will be Rossadilik,Clegan and Inishbofin.

Leaving late afternoon for the 3 hour drive to Mohan and overnighting and sightseeing the Cliffs etc the next day.

Leaving Mohan for Limerick and then on to Killarney to overnight.

Moving on from Killarney to Cork and overnight before the 3 you drive to Dublin and staying overnight before flying back to UK the next day.

I would be grateful if you have any thoughts !

Kind regards

Alan

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 8 Dec 2019 9:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Thanks for your quick response, Alan! I think your itinerary looks great and is doable timewise. You're taking enough time to explore a certain area, and not spending too much time in the car. :) 

I'd love to give you more tips on what to see and do. Is there anything you're interested in, or anything in a certain area you're looking for? 

When in Cork I definitely recommend a trip to the English market to pick up some tasty snacks and local produce. :) 
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 16 Dec 2019 12:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
Hi Alan
Husband of the Year stuff right here ;)
Melin has given you great overall tips, I'll stick closer to home to help you with the Cliffs of Moher part. What time of the year are you planning your trip?  If it is anytime late Spring/early Summer, the evenings are really long, so arriving later in the day still gives you plenty of options.  I would suggest you stay in Doolin while you are visiting the Cliffs of Moher area, there are 4 Irish music pubs in the village and each of them will have Irish music sessions, with at least 3 musicians in each for a great evenings entertainment.  Check the Doolin Tourism website for accommodation options.

Limerick is an easy drive from Doolin, and there is plenty of time to take a boat trip before leaving this area!  Why not try a combination tour to the Aran Islands and a Cliffs of Moher cruise on the way back?  Inis Oirr is just 15 minutes by ferry from Doolin, You could depart from Doolin at 10am, leave the island at 145pm for a cruise to the Cliffs of Moher, be back in Doolin at 3pm, and in Limerick for around 4.30. 

There would still be time to go the cliffs visitor centre after the cruise if you want to see it from the top as well (and it is much less crowded there from 4pm onwards)

I hope this helps your planning, let me know if you need any further information, happy to help!

All the best, Joan
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 5 Feb 2020 12:10 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Alan,

I am not sure when your wife's birthday surprise was planned for but I just wanted to check in, see if you need any more information or if you two already came over.

Elodie

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 3 Sep 2020 8:10 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (307 reputation)I'm into this (307 reputation)I'm into this (307 reputation)I'm into this (307 reputation)I'm into this (307 reputation)I'm into this (307 reputation)I'm into this (307 reputation)I'm into this (307 reputation)I'm into this (307 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 10
India
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 5 Oct 2021 7:42 PM Visits: 131
If you’re travelling to Ireland with a loved one, you need to know and visit these best couple spots. Am sure you must be willing to make this trip the most memorable and rememberable with your wife. Don't you? List down these four place to visit to add extra love n romance in your tour.
 1. Galway City - It’s been named the most romantic spot in Ireland by Love Hearts – the candy kind – and it’s a great place to come with a date. St. Valentine’s Relicsct for stealing a sneaky kiss, and the quaint city is lively so you can go for a few drinks, too.   
 2. St. Valentine’s Relics- Trying to think of the perfect Valentine’s Day? You don’t need to look too hard because St Valentine’s relics now reside in Dublin; yes, the one and only Saint himself. They’re in the Whitefriar Street Church, which brings lovebirds flocking to mass on February 14th for a blessing of rings.
3. Mussenden Temple-The Mussenden Temple is a beautiful place to come to watch the sunset. It was built in the 18th century and is modelled on classic Italian architecture, creating a gorgeous fusion with typical Irish scenery. People have even started getting married here late.
 4. Swiss Cottagely- If you want romantic-chic crossed with incredible architecture steeped in history, you’ve found it. The style may not be typically Irish, but the surrounds are, and this ornamental design takes your breath away from the moment you first see it. Couples can enjoy a leisurely stroll around the grounds, or picture their own dream house as they ascend the spiral steps.
Make the first time you visit Ireland with your love extra special. Good luck!