Genealogy

Genealogy

Author
Posted Thu 12 Dec 2019 8:17 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
My wife has been trying to find her family that came from there in the 1500,s or 1600,s. Their last names our Griffin and Gilley. She does not know which county thou and how to check each one. Any suggestions how I can help her out? Do I have to go to each county by it self? If so where would I look? Any other suggestions would be great thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions.

Robert
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 13 Dec 2019 11:27 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Robert,

Tracing family history back before 1864 will require looking at parish and church records, so for such a trip back in time to the 1500 or 1600's you will need to have some idea of location or historical documents to help narrow down your search.

There is an existing community forum thread, Starting your Genealogy Journey that has some excellent information on resources that you may wish to have a look at. There are lots of suggestions for genealogy centres and other websites that you may also consider looking at.

I'm also sure our Industry partners and fellow members will have some advice also.

We hope this helps get you started,

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 13 Dec 2019 10:02 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Martin thank you so much. I believe that she does not have any of that information. If I went from country to country which will take a very long time. Where would I start or go. So if I go to the church start there. Thanks again Martin where would I go If I started where you suggested thanks again
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 16 Dec 2019 11:32 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Robert,

I hope you will be able to find more information.
Make sure to let us know how it goes! 🙂

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 16 Dec 2019 6:05 PM
View Quick Profile
Elodie I will thanks