GPX FILES

GPX FILES

Author
Posted Tue 31 Dec 2019 3:04 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I am in the early stages of planning a visit to the west coast of Ireland and wish to plan short walks in selected areas. I will then have the route of all these walks on my phone to guide my wife and myself as and when we undertake them. The following would be of interest:-
1) A GPX file of the whole "Wild Atlantic Way". I could then easily split this into several sections depending upon which areas we decide to visit.
2) If a GPX file has yet to be created then access to a sufficiently detailed map of the route  would enable me to create my own GPX file.
3) I have noticed on some Google maps that short circular walks are identified. Any further information about footpaths in Ireland would be welcome e.g. are all (or the vast majority of) the tracks/paths shown on OSM  maps open to the public; what detailed maps are available for walkers?
Frank Brown

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 31 Dec 2019 4:01 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Frank,

It's so exciting you're planning on walking along the west coast of Ireland! I'd love to answer all of your questions. :) Will this be your first visit to the Emerald Isle?

1: I've had a look, and was able to find a GPX on the following page. (https://www.activeme.ie/guides/wild-atlantic-way-scenic-drive-west-of-ireland/) Take a look at the Ireland.com page as well for more helpful itineraries and information on walking and hiking.  

2: The official Wild Atlantic Way page has some detailed and official maps as well, so feel free to reach to them too.

3: A great place for finding detailed walking routes in Ireland is the Irish Trails page. Under 'categories' you can select 'Walking/Hiking' to search for the right trails.

I hope this was helpful, and please don't hesitate to ask any other questions here!