I’m visiting County Galway, but I’m going on a budget, so what can I do?

I’m visiting County Galway, but I’m going on a budget, so what can I...

Author
Posted Thu 2 Jan 2020 11:47 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Galway is a county filled to the brim with culture, history, atmosphere, and most importantly, craic. There’s a reason it was awarded the title of the 2020 European Capital of Culture and was named as one of Lonely Planet’s Top 10 cities in the world to visit!

From art exhibitions, performances, museums, churches and stunning views, Galway is packed with activities to suit every budget. Check out the beautiful Galway Cathedral, the Claddagh Ring Museum and the Galway City Museum, and get to know County Galway with their exhibitions on prehistoric and medieval Galway, the Atlantic Ocean and scientific discoveries.

For a taste of the local culture, sit in on a trad session in one of Galway's pubs. Traditional music is considered the ultimate Irish experience, and with good cause. Places like Monroe's Tavern in Galway city are always likely to have a session. And while the pints of Guinness aren’t free, one or two while you enjoy the music won’t break the bank.

Away from the busy environment of the city, you can enjoy gorgeous views of Galway Bay on the easygoing walk on the Salthill Promenade. Galway city itself is a great walk too. Filled with pubs, shops and cafes, as well as musicians and street performers, the cobbled streets of Galway are a journey unto themselves.

Galway is filled with options for the more thrifty traveller. Ireland’s largest medieval parish church, St Nicholas’ Church, holds free music concerts as well as meditation groups if you want to unplug from the bustling city. If you want to immerse yourself in nature, why not visit the lush Merlin Woods. Bursting with hazel woodland, beech, and oak trees and home to several rare species of plants and wildlife, it’s an experience that money can’t buy.

Does our Community have any other ideas of how to enjoy Galway on a budget?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/02-01-2020/3cd8d2e9-551b-40a6-afd9-c21f.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 5 Jan 2020 1:17 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 18
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 26 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 60
I also recommend a walk around the National University of Galway campus. NUIG is one of the most beautiful campuses in Ireland and even features a small natural history museum that has some material from Charles Darwin!

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 9 Sep 2022 8:15 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 6:50 PM Visits: 4.8K
Country Galway is a fantastic destination - packed with beautiful natural sites, a vibrant and history-rich city as well as a lively and friendly atmosphere. There are moreover plenty of excellent opportunities to experience its thrills on a budget.

If you're planning on staying in Galway city itself, you'll find a variety of activities right there. Start by exploring its architectural sites such as the impressive Galway Cathedral, St Nicholas' Collegiate Church as well as Lynch's Castle. Easily discovered by foot along its cobbled streets, don't forget to pass by Eyre Square or to walk by the remains of the City Walls. The Galway City Museum is a fun and interesting way of learning more about the eventful and deep history of Galway and the county more generally. Finally, don't miss out on the Claddagh Ring Museum.

Sampling some traditional Irish music is a great way of digging into the local culture. Many Galway pubs offer free trad sessions, all the more enjoyable with a pint of the ''Black Stuff''.

Galway is rich with some stunning views which can be enjoyed across the county. Hike through the Barna Woods for a scenic and atmospheric experience or along the Salthill promenade which offers coastal views of the Galway Bay.

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 16 Jan 2023 5:05 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 15
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Sat 23 Mar 2024 1:45 PM Visits: 628
Galway is such a lively, exciting and welcoming city and there is a wealth of things that can be done on a budget. All of the options that have been mentioned so far are spot on and I have a few more that might be of interest. 

The Galway Market opens on the weekends and is a tradition for many but a treat for all. Meander through the stalls, ask for tasters and question the friendly people providing this much-loved service. One of the best aspects of the market is the opportunity to meet the people behind their food. The quality of what's on offer is excellent and the prices are very budget friendly. Notice the massive queue for homemade donuts, they are simply divine. 

Something as simple as taking a walk in the evening, finding your perch by The Long Walk and taking in a magnificent sunset is always a lovely activity. The Long Walk offers a unique vantage point with views of the sea and the Latin Quarter to take in. It also takes you past the string of houses with different and colourful facades that are routinely the focal point of postcards and paintings alike. 

Last but certainly not least, spend time strolling along Shop Street with your eyes peeled for buskers. There is amazing talent in Galway and it is showcased on Shop Street every day. Some of the buskers are so excellent and the crowd so enthused that it really feels like you are at a small gig or concert.

Galway is truly magnificent!
Enjoy :)