First timers with teenagers

First timers with teenagers

Author
Posted Thu 2 Jan 2020 9:00 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi I want to take my 14 year old daughter and 17 year old son to Ireland. Where would be the best to go with teenagers? North or South?
Thanks for any suggestions
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 3 Jan 2020 10:10 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Chloe,

There are plenty of things to see and do with teenagers all over the island of Ireland, North and South!

The question is, what would they be interested in doing, apart from getting free wifi? 😉

There are wonderful beaches, sporting activities to take part in, cinemas, bowling to name but a few. We also find that most kids still love to go and visit places of interest such as Titanic Belfast, Newgrange, the many attractions of Dublin, and the whole of the Wild Atlantic Way.

Are you looking for a single location or are you looking to travel around and take in some different places during your time with us?
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 3 Jan 2020 4:16 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
Hi Chloe,

You were interested in suggestions for your trip to Ireland.  Perhaps I might share about the Causeway Coastal Route!  It really is one of the world's great road journeys!

The Giant's Causeway, Northern Ireland's only UNESCO World Heritage Site, with its hexagonal shaped basalt stones and columns is fascinating, no matter what age you are.  Not far away is the atmospheric ruin of Dunluce Castle, Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge for those who have the nerve to cross it, and many locations used in the filming of the Game of Thrones Series.

Besides walking a section of the Causeway Coastal Way, your teenagers might enjoy many of the various watersports or adventure sports on offer in the area.  For more information, check out the Things To Do section of our website:
https://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/plan/

I wish you a great adventure!

Alison

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 6 Jan 2020 12:16 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Chloe,

There are some great suggestions there for you. I would second the Titanic Belfast for teenagers, there is plenty there to keep them interested for an afternoon. If they are into the outdoors, you could make an overnight in Carlingford, it's on the coast, about half way between Dublin and Belfast. There are a choice of adventure centres and water sport activities there. https://carlingfordadventure.com/ 
I would also recommend the Sky Walk and the tour of Croke Park, the home of Gaelic games in Ireland, it's an 80,000 seat stadium quite near to the city centre. Depending on time of year, it may be possible to get tickets if there are matches on there too. Gaelic Football (ladies and mens), Hurling and Camogie are all played at the stadium.

I am also going to throw in Loftus Hall on the Hook Peninsula in Wexford, it's an old stately home that is a haunted house - it's very authentic, no special effects, a lot is left to the storytellers and the imagination. It's very spooky and a great visit for teens, well really for anyone but I know my smaller kids maybe a little too scared by the stories.

Depending on their interests, I'm sure there will be plenty to occupy your teens throughout the country.

Sandra
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 16 Jan 2020 9:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank-you for those great ideas, we are thinking about the East coast, maybe splitting a week into two stops, somewhere near Dublin and then maybe nearer Cork. We are getting the Ferry to Rosslare. My son is quite into history.
Many thanks for the suggestions, we are looking forward to our Irish adventure in July.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 17 Jan 2020 9:53 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Chloe,
There are loads of historic sites around Wexford, you have the Hook Head Lighthouse, (near to Loftus Hall) built in the 13th Century by William Marshall, it's the oldest operational lighthouse in the world. Duncannon Fort is near there too. You can get the ferry from a little further up the coast over to Passage East in County Waterford, it's a lovely little journey if you wanted to travel over to Cork that way.
Have a great time,
Sandra.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 17 Jan 2020 8:16 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Chloe,

If your son is interested in history, then I can certainly see why the Ancient East has caught your interest! 

Since you're planning to travel between Dublin and Cork, I think this trip along Ireland's East coast might just have a few options you and your family might love. It certainly offers plenty of historic spots to pay a visit, including Viking tours in Waterford, as well as calming strolls across the beach and lovely spots to have a bite to eat. 

There's also another trip right along the East coast that starts in Rosslare, with even more historic spots to visit and sights to see. 

Is anything catching your interest so far? I'd love to hear more about what spots you and your family are most excited to explore!

Kindly,
Rochelle