Self Drive In May 2020

Self Drive In May 2020

Author
Posted Sat 4 Jan 2020 12:54 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello, 
My wife Kerrie and I are planning on a self drive trip around Ireland from 12-24 May, starting and ending in Dublin. The main interests/ experiences we would like to have are discovering local food, seeing the iconic sights/ attractions and we would also like to experience a few local Irish pubs with live Irish music.
So the questions I have are: What would be the must see towns and attractions in that duration? Is it risky to just turn up in a town and book accommodation on the day? Has anyone done something similar with a suggested itinerary? I realise we would only be scratching the surface in 12 days so is it realistic to do a round trip of Ireland in that duration?
I know I'm asking a lot but I'm just trying to narrow down what at the moment feels a bit overwhelming.
Regards Jed
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 4 Jan 2020 11:09 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
Hi Jed,
             I totally understand how it can all seem a little daunting in the early stages but there are plenty of resources available and the friendly folks in these forums will keep you right.

Let's have a look at destinations first. You can get a comprehensive list of trip ideas here
These ones, in particular, look at local cuisine. Southwest, Northern Ireland, Connemara
While this one focuses on the local music scenes.

When it comes to booking accommodation. I would always recommend booking ahead to avoid disappointment, but with that said, if you are planning to go where the wind takes you. It should still be possible to find accommodation last minute.

Finally, you asked if it was wise to cover all of Ireland in 12 days. I would normally suggest 3 to 4 weeks to do the entire island, but if you stick to the coast 12 days is ideal. here is a trip that will lay that out for you. It is by Caravan but you could easily adapt it to suit your needs.

Anyway, Have a look and let me know your thoughts
G.
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 5 Jan 2020 1:35 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 18
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 26 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 60
I live in Dublin so I've mostly done shorter road trips that are out and back from Dublin. Some of my favorite foodie destinations in Ireland include West Cork, the Sligo Food Trail, and the Dingle Peninsula. Dublin to Dingle is one of my favorite drives in Ireland and there are lots of fun places to stop and stretch your legs along the way (e.g., Belvedere House, Foynes Flying Boat Museum, and Birr Castle). 

Good luck planning your trip!

Best wishes,
Jennifer (aka Dr. J)
Sidewalk Safari Blog
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 6 Jan 2020 10:11 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Gordon & Dr. J,
Thank you both so much for your responses. The links are fabulous and you have both made me feel much less anxious. We have now booked a car and will be departing Dublin on the 12 May returning 13 days later. We are very excited and can't wait to get there to start exploring.

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 6 Jan 2020 10:50 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
That's wonderful to hear, Jed.

May is a lovely time to travel around the island of Ireland, warming up nicely and the days are getting longer too!

Many thanks to Jennifer for her help, it's always nice to see fellow travelers favourites and suggestions.

Please feel free to let us know your itinerary and we would also love to hear all about your time with us during and after your visit. :)

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 7 Jan 2020 6:56 AM
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 18
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 26 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 60
Hi Jed,

Happy to help! I'm glad the resources that I shared were useful and helped make the trip feel a little less daunting. I have a feeling you're going to love your road trip. Good luck with everything! Just like Gordon, I can't wait to hear how it goes :-)

Best wishes,
Jennifer
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 7 Jan 2020 7:24 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Martin & Jennifer, 
Thanks again and yes we will let you know all about it. No doubt we will have more questions for you between now and when we arrive:)
regards,
Jed
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 7 Jan 2020 4:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
Hi Jed and Kerrie,

Sounds like you're planning a wonderful trip! 

As you have car hire sorted, might I suggest visiting the Causeway Coast in the north of the Island?  The drive from Dublin to Belfast takes about 2.5 hours.  From Belfast, heading north, take the well signposted Causeway Coastal Route (A2).  This road follows the stunning coastline of the North Antrim Coast which is studded with gems such as historic castles, quaint harbours, glens and long sandy beaches.

Attractions along the way include, Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge, which is a suspended bridge over a ravine.  The bridge operates on a ticketed basis and you can purchase these in advance from any of the Visitor Information Centres in the area.  Travelling about 5 miles west you will come to the Giant's Causeway, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, where there's a great visitor centre, with a cafe, shop and information area.  Experienced local guides lead tours to explore the unique formations of the Causeway.  You can also walk for miles along the cliff path there.  Again, driving west, approximately 5 miles along the A2 you encounter Dunluce Castle, a well preserved ruin perched on a cliff looming over the Atlantic Ocean.

The Causeway Coastal Route extends to the City of Derry in the west and from there you could link onto the Wild Atlantic Way before returning to Dublin.

For further information on any of the above, take a look at our website:
https://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/

I wish you an enjoyable trip!

Alison 

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 7 Jan 2020 4:19 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
You'll know where to find us if you need anything, Jed! Happy planning! :)