Searching for an O'Teimhneain

Searching for an O'Teimhneain

Author
Posted Sun 5 Jan 2020 1:44 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
My name is Chris Tyner and I live in America,  North Carolina to be exact. I did some digging and discovered my family MAY be from Ireland. The Gaelic name is O'Teimhneain . I'm wondering if there is any O'Teimhneains that would like to talk and get to know each other. 
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 6 Jan 2020 11:31 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Chris, 

What an exciting discovery! :D The Tyner surname indeed comes from an Anglicized version of the Gaelic name "O Teimhneain," which is derived from the word "teimhean," meaning "dark." The name was first found in County Laois. 

Have you been able to find any ancestors with a link to the Emerald Isle yet? You can find a helpful thread here if you want to start with your research. :) 

You are also more than welcome to contact an organization called Ireland Reaching Out, where great volunteers attempt to connect Irish descendants to their roots and family members, through reverse genealogical research. 

Feel free to post any questions here about your research, as I'm sure our members would love to help out!