Galway for two days

Galway for two days

Author
Posted Tue 7 Jan 2020 5:41 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi. I’m traveling solo on my first trip to Ireland. My itinerary currently has me taking a train from Dublin to Galway City on the morning of the 20th and returning to Dublin the evening of the 22nd. During the day I was hoping to see the Cliffs of Mohr, go on a hike (Connemara, Diamond Hill?), and see Kylemore Abbey. Is this doable? Will I need to rent a car to do this and have enough time? I still don’t have accommodations as I’m trying to decide if I need to rent a car. That might influence where I stay. Thank you!:)
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 8 Jan 2020 10:04 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
Good morning Luis,
A very Happy New Year to you, welcome to the forum.
So you have a fairly tight timeline to fit in everything you want to do, especially on public transport, but it might just be do-able!  I will the leave the Connemara part to one of our other community experts, and stick with the part I know best - the Cliffs of Moher :)

In fact, not only is it very possible to take a tour to the Cliffs of Moher, (and get to see them from the sea on a boat trip and at the Visitor Centre) you can also get to learn about the amazing Burren area in North Clare AND take a half-day trip to the Aran Islands, before taking the bus back to Galway. I would suggest you do this on your second day, as it is an early start from Galway and gets back to Galwy for approx 19:00.  There is a late bus back to Dublin from Galway (20:15) with Citylink

Here's a little video of this tour to give you a better understanding of just how wonderful our Wild Atlantic Day Tour is...

You can read more about our young intern Niamh's adventures with her friends in her blog here and reserve your spot here if you wish.

I hope this helps with your planning, Luis, let me know if you have any questions, and enjoy planning your adventure!

All the best,
Joan

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 8 Jan 2020 10:49 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Luis,

It's lovely to hear that you will be over with us soon!

It is possible to take a bus tour from Galway, there are several tour operators who offer trips, but maybe not include all three places on the same tour but certainly, one to think about instead of renting a car for the day, which is still an option if you prefer to travel alone and at your own pace.

With our days being shorter this time of year, a tour on one day and the Cliffs of Moher in the morning before your return to Dublin may be possible too! It is possible to walk there or travel by bus from Galway City.

For approved accommodation choices, please have a look at our search page. Galway City would probably be best, allowing travel up to Connemara and down towards the Cliffs. The destination and type of accommodation can be changed using the drop-down menus.

I hope this helps and your fellow members and some industry partners will be able to add to this too!

If you need any more help, just let me know!

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 11 Jan 2020 10:15 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thank you so much Martin! The advice you’ve offered and some other information has really helped me figure out my schedule. I think I’ve got a good idea of my itinerary now and will firm it up the next couple of days. I am very excited to see your beautiful country and meet the people that my friends assure me are the nicest people I’ll meet anywhere.
Gratefully, Lou
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 12 Jan 2020 3:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Luis, 

That's wonderful news! It's very exciting that you'll be here soon, and we can't wait to give you a warm welcome! :) Keep us posted on your plans, and we are only a message away if you ever have any questions or need help planning your solo trip. 

Have a great Sunday! 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 5 Feb 2020 12:00 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Lou,

So were you able to see all you wanted to see?
I hope the weather was good for you.

I am looking forward to seeing some pictures! 😊