Vehicle rental for 8 adults

Vehicle rental for 8 adults

Author
Posted Tue 14 Jan 2020 9:15 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello,
My family and I are traveling to Ireland in March.  We have 8 adults and probably 8+ pieces of luggage.  We are trying to decide the best type of vehicle to rent to get us around the country safely! And with all our "stuff."  I've done some research into vehicles through various rental sites.  We are flying into Dublin but immediately traveling across to Emlough, then down and around until we end our trip back in Dublin.  We have been going back and forth about renting a 9 passenger van or two smaller 7 passenger vans.  There is nothing definitive on any car rental site that can speak to the amount of luggage that can fit.
Our other concern is that some of the more scenic routes are more narrow and are we setting ourselves up for failure by having a larger vehicle and driving on the side of the road we aren't used to?
We have lived in Europe and traveled in the UK but it was many years ago and there were not as many of us then!
I would appreciate any and all guidance!

Kristine
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 15 Jan 2020 12:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Kristine, 

It's great to see that you and your whole family will be travelling around the Emerald Isle this March! The right type of vehicle is indeed very important, and I'd love to provide you with more information. 

Coincidentally, Gary recently had the same question but was looking for a car for six passengers and their luggage. You can find the thread with more helpful information and tips here.

In this case I recommend to reach out to some of the approved car rental companies for suggestions, as they will know the sizes of the vehicles they rent out. Take a look at the Car Rental thread and Vehicle Rental page for more helpful information.

Most places have scenic routes, where it's recommended not to drive with larger vehicles, like for example campervans. These roads will usually have signs indicating this. Are there any roads or routes that you are planning on taking that you would like to know more about? Most of them will fit a larger to normal-sized car without issues. 

I hope some of our other members will provide you with their tips and experiences as well! :)