I love Irish literature – where can I go to follow in the footsteps of my favourite characters?

I love Irish literature – where can I go to follow in the footsteps of...

Author
Posted Thu 16 Jan 2020 12:17 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (588 reputation)I'm hooked (588 reputation)I'm hooked (588 reputation)I'm hooked (588 reputation)I'm hooked (588 reputation)I'm hooked (588 reputation)I'm hooked (588 reputation)I'm hooked (588 reputation)I'm hooked (588 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Apr 2022 1:52 PM Visits: 248
Did you know that Ireland is the home of Dracula, Dorian Gray, Gulliver, Eliza Doolittle and many more. That’s because they sprang from the minds, through the tip of the pen, and onto the pages of Irish authors. Here’s where these imaginations worked their magic.

The cobbled streets of Dublin are a natural starting point. Visit the Writers’ Museum and the Dublin Writers’ Centre and the Museum of Literature Ireland (MoLI), which houses a rare first edition of James Joyces’ Ulysses.

Famous films like The Quiet Man and The Field first found their literary origins in County Kerry – the former came from Maurice Walsh’s book, and the latter from John B Keane’s novel (both onscreen versions used Connemara as their backdrop)! Kerry also hosts the internationally known Listowel Writers’ Week.

The story of Angela’s Ashes can be keenly felt on the streets of Limerick. The book was author Frank McCourt’s memoir of growing up in Limerick City during the 1930s and 1940s. While the story paints a grim picture of the city of the time, the current urban hub is far more enjoyable. The Angela’s Ashes walk, which will guide you to several places mentioned in the book.

Northern Ireland’s legendary writers include Nobel Laureate Seamus Heaney, who was born in Derry~Londonderry; and his life and legacy can be explored at the Seamus Heaney HomePlace. Belfast author, CS Lewis, meanwhile, used the landscapes of Northern Ireland – in particular the Mourne Mountains in County Down – as his inspiration for the magical world of Narnia.

How would our Community like to follow in the footsteps of their literary heroes?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/16-01-2020/246c55c1-8a5d-4d1a-a60f-d22f.jpg