Early Sept. 2020 reservations.

Early Sept. 2020 reservations.

Author
Posted Mon 20 Jan 2020 1:02 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello! I am planning a visit in late August/early Sept. Do the local information kiosks/offices (designated with the green "i") continue to assist with B&B reservations when I arrive (staying in Galway/north to Westport)? Or has it become common practice to prebook?
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 21 Jan 2020 10:33 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 1 hour ago Visits: 13.3K
Hello Ben,

It's lovely to hear that you will be over with us later this year!

There are indeed several regional tourist offices all over the island of Ireland where you can pop in for information on places to see and also accommodation recommendations. We would always recommend booking the first and last place to stay so that you are sure of the perfect place to stay at these important times. Lots of people who have pre-made itineraries do indeed book all of them ahead of time to be sure they stay where they want.

Late August/September is still a busy time with us, but if your plans are fluid and you want to decide on the day where to stay, we have a  wonderful approved accommodation search page that may be of interest. I have pre-selected Galway and B&B to get you started, please feel free to change the location and type from the drop-down menus. It is also possible to ask the B&B hosts for their recommendations as they usually know of other places available to try.

What have you decided to see and do in and around the Galway/ Westport areas so far?

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 21 Jan 2020 12:21 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thank you, Martin, for your reply.
I am joining a cycling tour in Galway and then heading north/ northwest to Westport. After the week tour, I will use the bus system (as I have before) to get around and will again go back to Westport for a couple of days. I will keep a keen eye on the weather to try and climb "the reeks"/ Croagh Patrick again. It has been a few years and it is my goal to climb that piece of rocky terrain one more time before I am 70.  (I'm only 61, so there's time, right?).
I have often followed that "book first and last night" stay theory with great success. The last five or six annual visits to Ireland have just been to Dublin: because it is a city of art, music, theater and great energy (even with the lively smell of/off of the Liffey), I often "forget" the rest of the country and have, except for day trips to Belfast or to the Wicklow mountains, seldom traveled out of the county..
This trip will remind me of the rest of/ West of/ (Best of?) Ireland again. I am looking forward to it greatly. 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 21 Jan 2020 6:44 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 3 hours ago Visits: 76.1K
That's quite an active holiday you've got planned here, Ben!

I'm sure you'll be able to climb Croagh Patrick after such a warm up in Galway. We also happen to have suggestions for the few days you'll be in Westport. Did you already visit the city the last time you climbed Croagh Patrick?

Best wishes,
Antoine