This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Galway

Galway

Author
Posted Tue 21 Jan 2020 6:17 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (318 reputation)I'm into this (318 reputation)I'm into this (318 reputation)I'm into this (318 reputation)I'm into this (318 reputation)I'm into this (318 reputation)I'm into this (318 reputation)I'm into this (318 reputation)I'm into this (318 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
United States
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 22 Jan 2020 9:08 PM Visits: 27
Hello – this is David from Kentucky. I’m taking my wife to Ireland for her retirement. We’ve never been and looking forward to it. Her ancestors are from Galway and my daughter is named Casey Galway. We would like to visit the last 2 weeks of June before it got real busy. We will not rent a car, so were counting on busses and maybe trains. From reading a lot about Ireland, it doesn’t seem to be a problem.
We would fly into Shannon and catch a bus to Galway, the same day. We would like to have our home base in Galway for 5-6 nights and take day trips out of Galway. Is this feasible ? Is there any problems setting up day trips once we arrive ? I would like to stay in town where we can walk to a lot of places, but, need to stay where it’s pretty quiet. Any recommendations ? our budget would be 200 -250 per night USD
The last 4 days we would leave Galway, so I’m looking for any recommendations on what town to visit. I do not want to be too far from Shannon Airport by bus. Is Cork or Kilarney an option ? Anything you can recommend or give us advice is MUCH appreciated 
Thanks David from Kentucky  
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 22 Jan 2020 11:30 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (48.4K reputation)Community Expert (48.4K reputation)Community Expert (48.4K reputation)Community Expert (48.4K reputation)Community Expert (48.4K reputation)Community Expert (48.4K reputation)Community Expert (48.4K reputation)Community Expert (48.4K reputation)Community Expert (48.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 7 hours ago Visits: 7.6K
Hi David, 

What an amazing gift for your wife's retirement! I am so happy you are planning on visiting the area her ancestors were from, and love your I daughter's name. :) Are you doing any research into her roots? There is a helpful section on the Community dedicated to Irish Family History

The beginning of June is a lovely time of year for a visit, and travelling around by public transportation is a great idea. You can easily combine it with day trips to other places in the area, and you can schedule and arrange those once you're here. Have you decided on what you'd like to see yet? Take a look here for some suggestions for day trips from the city. 

For an overview of recommended accommodation in the city, take a look on this page. Are you looking for a hotel or a different type of accommodation? 

From Cork City to Shannon Airport will take just under three hours by public transport, and Killarney is about three hours away. This of course also depends on if you're travelling on a Sunday when the bus schedules might be different. It is also an option to stay close to the airport the night before your flight, so you can easily make your way on the day of your flight home. 

I hope this was helpful, and that other members will be able to provide you with their tips and recommendations as well! :)
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 22 Jan 2020 2:24 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (318 reputation)I'm into this (318 reputation)I'm into this (318 reputation)I'm into this (318 reputation)I'm into this (318 reputation)I'm into this (318 reputation)I'm into this (318 reputation)I'm into this (318 reputation)I'm into this (318 reputation)
United States
Thanks for the quick reply Melin - I'm sure my wife will check into her kin-folk while visiting Galway. I'm glad to hear about the public transportaion, i feel mcuh better now that i don't have to rent a car. 
Were planning on taking 3-4 day trips but not sure where to go yet, so, Thanks for the information. 

I'll check into Cork and Killarney and decide which city to visit, but, will spend the last night in Shannon. I've been to Ireland on business, but, never got to do any sightseeing. 
Thanks again and MUCH apprecaited on the informatoin you provided us. 
David

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 22 Jan 2020 2:49 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (572 reputation)Industry Member (572 reputation)Industry Member (572 reputation)Industry Member (572 reputation)Industry Member (572 reputation)Industry Member (572 reputation)Industry Member (572 reputation)Industry Member (572 reputation)Industry Member (572 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 7
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Fri 13 Mar 2020 12:23 PM Visits: 111
Hi David,
Great to hear that you are travelling to Ireland with your wife - sounds like a very special trip! 

You could do day trips from Galway- there are some nice group day trips to Connemara (Lally tours) and the Aran Islands (Doolin 2 Aran ferries).

If you would like to go from Galway to Killarney, there are some public transport options, Bus Eireann is the main bus provider for this route. If you like, you could take the scenic route instead from Galway to Killarney with a private driver. This would allow you to see the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren region and Atlantic coastline on the way. We have a private driver service if you want any help with this. 

Once you're in Killarney, you could do day trips from there. You could do separate day trips of the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle peninsula.  
You could then take the train from Killarney to Cork (roughly 2 hours). 

Cork is a great base and you could do day trips from there too (West Cork or Jameson Distillery for example!).
Check out the following website for day tours from Cork:  https://www.corkcitytours.com/

Hope this helps. If you'd like help with organising the itinerary, just send a message :)
Dee O'Grady
Specialized Travel Services
www.special-ireland.com
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 22 Jan 2020 4:13 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
United States
Hello Dee and Thanks for the information. Very nice.  Great suggestions for Cork.  I will look into them. Our base will be Galway for 5-6 days. I was checking out all the hotels and did not see any with an out door pool. Any suggestions? 

Thanks again 
David
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 22 Jan 2020 4:43 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (572 reputation)Industry Member (572 reputation)Industry Member (572 reputation)Industry Member (572 reputation)Industry Member (572 reputation)Industry Member (572 reputation)Industry Member (572 reputation)Industry Member (572 reputation)Industry Member (572 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 7
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Fri 13 Mar 2020 12:23 PM Visits: 111
Hi David,

Great to hear and happy to help. I'd recommend the Aridlaun Hotel or the Hardiman. I'm not aware of any hotels with a pool but there is a beautiful promenade called Salthill on the outskirts of the city and people often go swimming there in the summer. The temperatures can be quite low but it's very refreshing (by all accounts, I'm not brave enough!).  

If you've any other queries let me know! 

Dee 
Specialized Travel Services
www.special-ireland.com

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 22 Jan 2020 8:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Thu 2 Jul 2020 5:24 PM Visits: 388
Hi David, it sounds like things are shaping up nicely for you. Dee is right, there is not a hotel in Galway with an outdoor pool. To be fair finding an outdoor pool in Ireland is a challenge no matter where you go. There are a number of hotels in Galway with indoor pools, though, if it helps.

The Ardilaun, Salthill and Clayton are the first that come to mind.
If I was to pick one of them I would say Salthills pool is the best of the 3.

If there is anything else you need, ask away.
G.