This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Canal boating on the Shannon River

Canal boating on the Shannon River

Author
Inactive User
Inactive User (36.6K reputation)Inactive User (36.6K reputation)Inactive User (36.6K reputation)Inactive User (36.6K reputation)Inactive User (36.6K reputation)Inactive User (36.6K reputation)Inactive User (36.6K reputation)Inactive User (36.6K reputation)Inactive User (36.6K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 8:42 AM Visits: 0
Hi

We will be in Ireland in September/October this year.

We have drafted an itinerary and currently have from pm 13-Oct (driving from Bunacurry) to am 18-Oct (driving to Dublin) to do canal boating – we’ve previously done it in France and Wales and would like to again if it can be fitted in.

We'd like to take in Clonmacnoise while cruising.

We've had a look at the larger companies (leboat, crisboat, locaboat) and there are a few options we can consider. However, ideally we'd like to use a local family run business if possible as it's nice to support the locals. (We did this in Wales and the experience/support was wonderful).

So, if anyone can offer suggestions on good local canal boat hire companies we'd appreciate the advice.

Regards

Mark &Cheryl
Australia
Posted Mon 27 Jan 2020 5:59 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (42.3K reputation)Community Expert (42.3K reputation)Community Expert (42.3K reputation)Community Expert (42.3K reputation)Community Expert (42.3K reputation)Community Expert (42.3K reputation)Community Expert (42.3K reputation)Community Expert (42.3K reputation)Community Expert (42.3K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 9 hours ago Visits: 7K
Hi Mark, 

Exploring the Emerald Isle by water is a wonderful idea! It's great to see that you're such a big fan of canal boating, and I'd love to see what I can do to help you find a family-owned boat hire company.

I've been searching, and there is a lovely boat available for hire near Dublin called Anam Cara, that can take you inland along the waterways. You can reach out directly to Rent My Barge for more information. 

Then there is Riversdale Barge Holidays, which is located in the Shannon Corridor, so perfect if you'd like to see Clonmacnoise. :)

I hope these were the suggestions that you were looking for, and I hope our other members will be able to provide you with even more tips! 

Posted Mon 27 Jan 2020 5:25 PM
Question